Home :: Reviews & Articles ::
Forum :: Info :: :: Facebook :: Youtube :: RSS Feed
Search  :: Register :: Log in
View Single Post  Topic: Battlefield 2142 Comes With Spyware 
silverstrand
Rated PG-13

PostPosted: Wed, 18 Oct 2006 23:34:10    Post Subject: Reply with quote

From widescreengaming:

"You guys are going to love this little story. I just got off the phone with EA. When I inquired about the software they acted like they had no idea about it and that if there is software its only for monitoring BF2142 data, like log on time, gameplay time, ect.

Then I asked them, "So if I was to go and buy this game now, read the documents only available from with in the box about this software, I wont find anything discussing in detail about the monitoring of my web browser data?" The man I was talking to paused a second and asked to put me on hold. He returned roughly 4 mins later and said "Well, I just looked into this and EA is aware of this software. We here at technical support are just as surprised at this as you are. Unfortunately EA is only the publisher and we do not have any info from Dice about this software because the developer has not shared it with us." Confused You read right. EA, a publisher in charge of sales and distributing doesn't have info about what's inside the game even AFTER LAUNCH. Which is pretty scary and dumb considering this is spyware we are talking about.

So I asked them how could they not have info on this for consumers even after the game launched? I of course got not good answer. Only that the software will not harm my computer but does in fact monitor/share my web browser info, though you have to hassle them to get that info. So I told the guy simply, if your not recording this, record it now. Then I told him that what they are doing is a invasion of privacy and is illegal. It is also not on the box anywhere that this software is included. And that EA has made zero attempts to alert current owners of the game about the software which is also wrong. The man said he will send my message to his superiors right now and watch over this incident himself.

So my advice guys is call them. Know the info you need about the papers and what the software does and call them. Don't play around if they play dumb, they know about this. Call and demand action. It will either go to the superiors or put pressure on tech support till it does."

"Players who have the Windows security update KB917422 installed may suffer from an application error when running Battlefield 2142. This error can be solved by uninstalling the KB917422 update"

Taken from the patch notes for 2142 first patch...

COME ON EA... you want us to sabotage our own machines?! LOL!!!

Contact Us :: On Facebook :: On Youtube :: Newsletter :: RSS Feed :: FAQ :: Links :: Sponsors :: Privacy Policy
Copyright © 2000 - 2023 Bigbruin.com - All rights reserved