Bigbruin.com
Home :: Reviews & Articles ::
Forum :: Info :: :: Facebook :: Youtube :: RSS Feed
Search  :: Register :: Log in
View Single Post  Topic: a agp upgrade is in time... 

good card?
nope
60%
 60%  [ 3 ]
awsome card
40%
 40%  [ 2 ]
Total Votes : 5

Hellfire
Rated XXX

PostPosted: Wed, 02 Aug 2006 23:15:05    Post Subject: Reply with quote

I would say to definetly get a new MB and PCI-E card...

I evaluated an AGP 6800 256 against a PCI-E 6600 256. The 6600 256 only lagged about 2% behind the 6800. At that time, the 6800 256 was about $400, while the 6600 was 250.

End result was my 6600 was SLI read, after the prices dropped could toss in a second and was running SLI, and easily trumped the 6800AGP. Plus I was able to get a better card later (now running a 7900GT KO Superclock.

When I originally bought my first PCI-E MB (still in use today) along with the video card, I spent $400 that I would've spent on the 6800AGP. But as I said, I was able to upgrade that system down the road at a lower cost.

Ok, that's long winded. All in all, get a SLI MB, and a PCI-E card. You'll be happier you did, when later you just spend a little cash to buy the 2nd video card (or a totally new more powerful card). Especially since you already said you want to build a SLI box in a year or so (by then you'll need new ram, mb, cpu).

Contact Us :: On Facebook :: On Youtube :: Newsletter :: RSS Feed :: FAQ :: Links :: Sponsors :: Privacy Policy
Copyright © 2000 - 2023 Bigbruin.com - All rights reserved