Home :: Reviews & Articles ::
Forum :: Info :: :: Facebook :: Youtube :: RSS Feed
Search  :: Register :: Log in
View Single Post  Topic: Risk of RAID0 
Das Capitolin
Rated R

PostPosted: Sat, 24 Jun 2006 19:29:57    Post Subject: Reply with quote

And here comes the correct answers:

RAID-0 (striping) is great for performance because it splits the read and write times in half. The most major downside is that if data corruption occurs, the drives become out of sync, and you are SOL. You don't need a drive to go bad, just to have a drive record corrupt data (improper shut down, power out, crash). I have build 11 systems for customs requesting RAID-0 arrays (using 10k Raptors), and 9 have been back for corruption within the first year and become non-RAID systems.

As far as mainboard based RAID, the ICH-6R and 7R chipsets are HBA hardware RAID controllers; anyone who claims they are software is clueless. HBA stands for Host Bus Adapter, and has very few disadvantages over an add-in RAID controller. Those disadvantages are: 1) HBA RAID utilizes your CPU, rather then a true I/O RAID processor found on add-in's. 2) HBA RAID is O/S dependant; meaning it doesn't work with every O/S. 3) Less feature set then an add-in RAID controller.

I hope this helps. I just wanted to get this topic back on track with solid advice.

Last edited by Das Capitolin on Sun, 25 Jun 2006 01:52:48; edited 1 time in total

Contact Us :: On Facebook :: On Youtube :: Newsletter :: RSS Feed :: FAQ :: Links :: Sponsors :: Privacy Policy
Copyright © 2000 - 2023 Bigbruin.com - All rights reserved