Bigbruin.com
Home :: Reviews & Articles ::
Forum :: Info :: :: Facebook :: Youtube :: RSS Feed
Search  :: Register :: Log in
View Single Post  Topic: Risk of RAID0 
Doctor Feelgood
Administrator

PostPosted: Sat, 24 Jun 2006 09:10:28    Post Subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't do it if these were my only data stores. Regardless of performance boost, the potential to lose it all is not worth it to me.

In the past few years I have had a few drives die, from Maxtor (3), WD (1), and Seagate (2), so it doesn't matter what the drive specs are or who made it. They can all die.

The numbers above may not be fair, as the 2 Seagates represent a total of maybe 8 drives, while it is 1 of 1 WDs, and 3 out of 6 Maxtors. All with in warranty, but still a pain. And two times the drives were in RAID arrays when they died. RAID 0 for one of the Maxtors...

So, if you do it, have that RAID 0 array backed up, at least the critical bits, to a third drive, optical media, ftp, or something.... Presently I have my various PCs all back up to two places using http://www.2brightsparks.com/freeware/freeware-hub.html - but for a Linux install, I am sure you know what to do anyway.

College this fall, ehh? Cool... Cool

Contact Us :: On Facebook :: On Youtube :: Newsletter :: RSS Feed :: FAQ :: Links :: Sponsors :: Privacy Policy
Copyright © 2000 - 2023 Bigbruin.com - All rights reserved