Home :: Reviews & Articles ::
Forum :: Info :: :: Facebook :: Youtube :: RSS Feed
Search  :: Register :: Log in
View Single Post  Topic: Advice on building a new system 
mrweasel
Rated XXX

PostPosted: Thu, 18 May 2006 09:12:17    Post Subject: Reply with quote

Dr. EvilCheeze wrote:
Unless you plan on doing SLi I would go with an ATi X1800XT instead of the 7900GT. You are going to get better performance at a cheaper price.

If you're looking to do SLi then the 7900GT would probably be a better approach (as I think you'll end up spending less).

I might have to disagree with that statement:
http://www.legionhardware.com/document.php?id=542

With almost no price difference between X1800XT and 7900GT graphics cards it simply comes down to which offers the best performance. Of course availability is also an issue and currently it is much easier to locate a 7900GT graphics card. The only weakness of the 7900GT was its FSAA & Aniso performance, which let it down just enough to allow the Radeon X1800XT to become threatening. Although there was no real noticeable advantages of using either graphics card, the Radeon X1800XT is technically faster.

Nevertheless, when it comes down to the bang for your buck factor I feel the GeForce 7900GT is probably a better option. As I have said, they are easier to find and will continue to hit shelves in droves. Then there is the overclocking potential of the 7900GT core, which is immense. Although this was not investigated in this article, the overclocking potential alone will be enough to sway most towards the green side (NVIDIA). Furthermore, the reference 7900GT design features a small single slot cooler that does its job without sounding like a vacuum cleaner.

The only thing to differentiate, the X1800 series supports OpenEXR HDR and antialiassing at the same time, and the 7900 GT overclocks like crazy.

And don't forget that the ATI card does Crossfire

Contact Us :: On Facebook :: On Youtube :: Newsletter :: RSS Feed :: FAQ :: Links :: Sponsors :: Privacy Policy
Copyright © 2000 - 2023 Bigbruin.com - All rights reserved