Bigbruin.com
Home :: Reviews & Articles ::
Forum :: Info :: :: Facebook :: Youtube :: RSS Feed
Search  :: Register :: Log in
View Single Post  Topic: Kingston HyperX 2GB PC3200 Dual Channel DDR Kit 
Doctor Feelgood
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed, 01 Feb 2006 10:08:49    Post Subject: Reply with quote

I am a little disappointed and confused with this review... But grateful to a new forum member, dracos, for pointing out a major issue!

I had requested the KHX3200K2/2G 2GB PC3200 Kit from Kingston and proceeded with the review thinking I had received it. There is nothing on the Kingston site describing a "newer" version of this kit, but apparently one exists (and I have it). Even though I asked a few questions of Kingston and showed them a preview of the review before releasing it, they didn't notice that I had conducted the review as if it was of the "KHX3200K2/2G", even though they sent me the "KHX3200AK2/2G".

I never noticed the A until dracos pointed it out this morning, and he had some information on the features that I hope to get Kingston to confirm today.

For one... Check the difference in timings:

KHX3200K2/2G Kit: 2.5-3-3-7-1
KHX3200AK2/2G Kit: 3-3-3-8 at +2.6V / 2-3-2-6 at +2.65V

Lower latency, if you throw just a little voltage at it! I asked them directly about my set being 3-3-3-8 when I thought it was supposed to be 2.5-3-3-7, and they said that was normal and didn't notice the bigger issue of me not knowing what I had.

That said... My testing results are still valid, whether I knew what I had in my possession or not. The default SPD values were 3-3-3-8. Thinking I had stuff spec'ed at 2.5-3-3-7 I was a bit disappointed, but was then pleased to see I could do 2-3-3-6 at elevated voltages. 2-3-3-6 seemed good when I thought the specs were worse, but now knowing I should have been capable of 2-3-2-6 reduces my excitement.

All in all, the kit did very well in testing at lower speeds, and the final marks stand. Now that I know 2.5-3-3-7 are not the true timings of this kit, I will run some new benchmarks to show what 2-3-3-6 can do for the scores.

When he is ready to publish, look for perhaps a bit more accurate review of the "A" version by dracos over at www.thinkcomputers.org

Thanks... and sorry,

Jason

Last edited by Doctor Feelgood on Wed, 01 Feb 2006 10:41:18; edited 1 time in total

Contact Us :: On Facebook :: On Youtube :: Newsletter :: RSS Feed :: FAQ :: Links :: Sponsors :: Privacy Policy
Copyright © 2000 - 2023 Bigbruin.com - All rights reserved