Bigbruin.com
Home :: Reviews & Articles ::
Forum :: Info :: :: Facebook :: Youtube :: RSS Feed
Search  :: Register :: Log in
View Single Post  Topic: Challenge to all the networking guys... 
CHollman82
Rated R

PostPosted: Mon, 03 Oct 2005 11:07:22    Post Subject: Challenge to all the networking guys... Reply with quote

I have posted this question on two other forums ([H] and IANAG) and so far nobody can give me a solution. Right now I think it is probably not possible but I thought I'd give it one more try. Here it is.

I want to set up automatic client-side redirecting. What I mean by this is that I want to be able to set up a table with URLs paired to the URL I want to go to INSTEAD when I type that URL into my browser. The solution can be browser independant or dependant, but if it is browser dependant I want the solution for firefox.

For example:
1. I type in www.tvguide.com and instead I go to online.tvguide.com/listings.
2. I type in bigbruin.com and instead I go to http://www.bigbruin.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=2
3. I type in flash and I go to my flash drive (D: )
etc, etc...

People have already suggested using the hosts file or lmhosts file in some way but as far as I or anyone else can tell they can't do that.

My idea was to set up a local DNS server but so far I haven't been able to figure out how to do that and no one has been able to tell me...

Contact Us :: On Facebook :: On Youtube :: Newsletter :: RSS Feed :: FAQ :: Links :: Sponsors :: Privacy Policy
Copyright © 2000 - 2023 Bigbruin.com - All rights reserved