Home :: Reviews & Articles ::
Forum :: Info :: :: Facebook :: Youtube :: RSS Feed
Search  :: Register :: Log in
View Single Post  Topic: Maxtor DiamondMax 10 300GB SATA Hard Drive 
Guspaz
Rated PG

PostPosted: Fri, 12 Aug 2005 17:48:32    Post Subject: Reply with quote

Yes, the same one Smile

Certainly they're not meaningless on a SATA-150 controller. However many new motherboards have onboard SATA-300 support, and on one of these, the inclusion of an SATA-300 drive in SATA-150 mode is, well, let's not say meaningless, let's say not representative of the drive's true performance.

I look at it this way: SATA-300 support is a feature of the drive. By "disabling" the feature, you're not testing the drive as it is, but instead a non-existant replica of the drive with SATA-150 support.

Another analogy, because I like useless analogies Wink

It is like reviewing the Kyro 2 videocard, which lacked T&L support, and then disabling T&L on the cards you benchmark it against to create parity. You're not really providing accurate benchmarks, since it is undesirable to disable T&L on the other cards; it is a feature of them that is part of what makes them what they are.

EDIT: I should respond to when you said "This review is for the Maxtor drive, which is only SATA-150 capable", you're inferring that the only reason to buy the Maxtor drive is if they are limited to an SATA-150 motherboard. I think that is a limiting view for the review.

Contact Us :: On Facebook :: On Youtube :: Newsletter :: RSS Feed :: FAQ :: Links :: Sponsors :: Privacy Policy
Copyright © 2000 - 2023 Bigbruin.com - All rights reserved