Home :: Reviews & Articles ::
Forum :: Info :: :: Facebook :: Youtube :: RSS Feed
Search  :: Register :: Log in
View Single Post  Topic: Maxtor DiamondMax 10 300GB SATA Hard Drive 
Doctor Feelgood
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri, 12 Aug 2005 15:34:54    Post Subject: Reply with quote

Hi Guspaz - welcome;

The same Guspaz from many of the hosting forums (like WHT and SM)?

Anyway, I can see your point, although I do not agree...

The reference Hitachi drive was tested in various SATA-300 modes when it was reviewed on its own here: http://www.bigbruin.com/reviews05/hitachi7k500/index.php?file=1

This review is for the Maxtor drive, which is only SATA-150 capable, as are the two Seagate drives used as other points of reference.

Sure, the review is not using the Hitachi drive to the best of its abilities, but that wasn't the point and was made clear in the review... Full testing on that drive occured in its own review. The methodology of this review was to take controller X and to run tests 1, 2, 3, and 4 on drives a, b, c, and d... which I did. This review used a SATA-150 controller to run some benches on the SATA-150 Maxtor drive. Then, the various other drives were also connected to the same SATA-150 controller and the benches were all repeated.

I am careful to say the Maxtor drive put up the best SATA-150 scores I have seen, and not just the best scores period, as I did bench the Hitachi drive in SATA-300 mode and it did do better (but that was on a different controller, obviously). For the majority of people with SATA-150 controllers, these results are hopefully neither "meaningless" or "critically flawed".

Thanks, I do appreciate the feedback.

Contact Us :: On Facebook :: On Youtube :: Newsletter :: RSS Feed :: FAQ :: Links :: Sponsors :: Privacy Policy
Copyright © 2000 - 2023 Bigbruin.com - All rights reserved