Home :: Reviews & Articles ::
Forum :: Info :: :: Facebook :: Youtube :: RSS Feed
Search  :: Register :: Log in
View Single Post  Topic: Heatsink Lapping Guide 
TheG
Rated PG

PostPosted: Mon, 03 Jan 2005 10:33:27    Post Subject: Reply with quote

Nice article.

I just acquired a Tower112 heatsink by Thermaltake. Ya know, the snap-mobo-in-half-due-to-excess-weight thing. The base is rough, so I looked up some lapping information to see if it differs in method from other metal polishing.

Same thing. I've been polishing aluminum on vehicles for a while (200 hours on a single piece! Yikes ).

Just a note regarding initial sanding. To achieve a mirror polish on aluminum, when you're sanding with higher and higher paper grades, go at right angles to the previous direction of sanding. This brakes the ridges easier and faster, is easier to observe your work and sometimes sanding in the same direction with a higher grade paper can mask a lower grade ridge. I've seen this plenty on aluminum when working in a confined area where you can't get at right angles to the previous work. The lower grit line then shows up when buffing the area.

Also, that other argument mentioned earlier in the thread, my opinion is that best heat transfer is metal to metal. 2 smooth surfaces can also allow better spread of heat. Best heat dissipating is across large surface area, a cast surface texture has more surface area than a smooth one.

As for lapping a CPU... best use a rasp file. Sorts anything out. Smile

Contact Us :: On Facebook :: On Youtube :: Newsletter :: RSS Feed :: FAQ :: Links :: Sponsors :: Privacy Policy
Copyright © 2000 - 2023 Bigbruin.com - All rights reserved