Bigbruin.com
Home :: Reviews & Articles ::
Forum :: Info :: :: Facebook :: Youtube :: RSS Feed
Search  :: Register :: Log in
View Single Post  Topic: Q: Whats the best buy i5-i7 for OC? 
qwwwizx
Rated PG

PostPosted: Wed, 02 Feb 2011 08:13:36    Post Subject: Reply with quote

Well, - I ended up upgrading to Intel 2600K, 8 GB 1600MHz memory and an MSI P67a-GD65 motherboard.

Quite an upgrade to my q6600.

The 2600k is very easy to OC - a nobrainer actually.

With the stock Intel cooler I did 4.8 GHz, ran 3dmark06. Temperature was pretty high, 98c on some of the cores in the CPU test. It felt stable, but considering the high temperature I didnt feel like taking it further.

Bought a Prelimatech Megahalem and some Silverstone 12cm fans and adjusted it to 5.3 GHz. 3dmark06. Temps are in the range 80c on the cores under the CPU test.

I can even push it to 5.4 GHz, but struggles a little with stability. I think I will need to take away some of the power adjustment features (EIST - C-STATE etc), to make it more stable. It wont pass through the complete 3dmark06 test.

You can read a little about my experiments on http://sites.google.com/site/qwwwizx/

One of the days I will recieve some corsair force 60GB ssd drives, capable of doing ~ 280MB/sec read/write. I will try different setups with them to find best possible performance.

1. Raid 0 using the Intel Sandy Bridge raidcontroller
2. Raid 0 using the Marvell SATA 3 raidcontroller
3. Raid 0 using the Intel Sandy Bridge controller, with Windows 7 software raid
4. Raid 0 using the Marvell SATA 3 controller, with Windows 7 software raid
5. No Raid, just used as plan disks.

What program should I use to test it? I prefer something that really shows real-life performance? What to expect?
4 x 2 GB Corsair XMS2 Xtreme PC6400 - CL4
eVGA 8800GTX
Thermaltake Kandalf LCS w. Watercooling
Thermaltake Toughpower 850W
250 GB SEAGATE BARRACUDA 7200.10 -16 MB-SATA II

Contact Us :: On Facebook :: On Youtube :: Newsletter :: RSS Feed :: FAQ :: Links :: Sponsors :: Privacy Policy
Copyright © 2000 - 2023 Bigbruin.com - All rights reserved