Bigbruin.com
Home :: Reviews & Articles ::
Forum :: Info :: :: Facebook :: Youtube :: RSS Feed
Search  :: Register :: Log in
Sling Media Slingbox Personal Video Broadcaster
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Doctor Feelgood
Arrrrghh!

PostPosted: Tue, 11 Apr 2006 21:56:05    Post Subject: Sling Media Slingbox Personal Video Broadcaster Reply with quote View Single Post

The Slingbox allows you to watch and control your television from anywhere. The box connects to your cable TV connection (or other A/V source) and your network, and allows you to use just about any computer to watch television as if you were plopped down right in front of the tube itself. - The Review

Last edited by Doctor Feelgood on Thu, 27 Apr 2006 09:46:12; edited 2 times in total
Little Bruin
Boo Boo

popper
Rated PG

PostPosted: Thu, 13 Apr 2006 10:52:41    Post Subject: Re: Sling Media Slingbox Personal Video Broadcaster - 04/12/ Reply with quote View Single Post

Big Bruin wrote:
The basic concept of the Slingbox doesn't seem that complicated, but it is definitely unique and offers a whole new way to enjoy two different technologies... The Slingbox allows you to watch and control your television from anywhere. The box connects to your cable TV connection (or other A/V source) and your network, and allows you to use just about any computer to watch television as if you were plopped down right in front of the tube itself. - The Review

hi , its me again, and sorry for having to keep going this but i have a few points Smile

first of all the link to the full spec on page one is broke.

its nice you took some of my thoughts about lan broadcasting in my other posts and produced this peace of kit , thanks.

i agree geerally that this hardware might be a good idea, and cant fault you there.

theres a few things id point out and hope that some future firmware update might correct the current kit.

first of all you mention that "The Slingbox is powered by a high-performance digital signal processor from Texas Instruments" which implys that it can be reprogramed to encode to different codecs in the future, but you fail to mention here (might be in that spec i cant see elseware) what codec its using now ?, Mpeg2, H264/avc or any mention of what screensize the default image is, pal, ntsc, CIF, DVD, VGA(640x480), etc.

also the fact that it currently only allows 1 single connection to the device implys that its probably using Unicast tcp rather than the far more usful option of multicast UDP (at least for the local lan connections) and cant currently do as much as the VLC software viewer/server app.

thats a shame, but if as implyed, they may be able to remotly upgrade this hardware to at least the basic VLC options then evn at this price, it may indeed become a viable replacement, all all truth though id really like to use the far better dscaler TV app with this box as that produce outstanding results.

however to do that this hardware would need to write some form of directx wrapper to fool the Dscaler in to thinking the lan tv was infact directly connected to the current pc or a far better option, help the dscaler developers write a good access option directly into the app.

as for the codecs currently used id hope that the DSP in the kit would be able to do avc in the future if it infact doesnt now ?, and produce a far better output than your screengrab implys, although again dscalers code would probably give a fare better end result ( see source forge for both sw apps). Wave
Doctor Feelgood
Arrrrghh!

PostPosted: Thu, 13 Apr 2006 11:22:24    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

Hi... The spec link works for me... Try this, if not for you still: Geeks.com Link

I also deleted your second post (as well as your third and fourth), as it looked like you just quoted your first without adding anything. Let me know if there was something I missed.
popper
Rated PG

PostPosted: Thu, 13 Apr 2006 15:30:45    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

Big Bruin wrote:
Hi... The spec link works for me... Try this, if not for you still: Geeks.com Link

I also deleted your second post (as well as your third and fourth), as it looked like you just quoted your first without adding anything. Let me know if there was something I missed.

this link works for me, the other one didnt.

thanks for removing that, i didnt see 3rd or 4th
but i did go back a few times to add comment and
try and currect the layout a little, it quoted me
without me telling it too so tryed re-editing and gave up as i didnt want to delete all and redo, it seems all there now so ill leave it.

did you try the "Vaio Desktop PC and Media Server Products" from "Las Vegas - January 6, 2005" yet
i dont remember seeing anything remotely
like this since then, well the above comes
someware near i guess but still. Bang Head

http://www.celtic-house.com/news_050106_3.html
"The Living Room PVR Grows Up

Available standard with one terabyte of hard disk storage, Sony’s Vaio Type-X media server provides multi-channel personal video recorder (PVR) capabilities. Using ViXS’ standards-based video encoder, it can capture analog and digital terrestrial high-definition (HD) content and deliver advanced multi-stream video functionality, such as picture-in-picture and watch-and-record. The Type-X represents one of Sony’s first consumer electronic devices in their well-known Vaio product line and on is based on Microsoft’s Windows Media Edition 2005 operating system. In addition to its unprecedented video recording capabilities, this media server also offers a unique electronic programming guide for quick and easy search of programs using key words."
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bigbruin.com Forum Index -> Electronics All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: