Bigbruin.com
Home :: Reviews & Articles ::
Forum :: Info :: :: Facebook :: Youtube :: RSS Feed
Search  :: Register :: Log in
Ultra Products 2nd Generation X-Finity 600W PSU
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Doctor Feelgood
Arrrrghh!

PostPosted: Sun, 12 Feb 2006 21:50:31    Post Subject: Ultra Products 2nd Generation X-Finity 600W PSU Reply with quote View Single Post

Compared to the previous generation 600W X-Finity PSU, the second is a nice improvement. I have been taxing the first generation unit with all of the daily tasks I perform on my main PC since that review was published. The voltage rails are still rock solid, and I expect the same (or better) from the second generation unit with its improved specifications and addition of a second 12V rail. - The Review

Last edited by Doctor Feelgood on Sat, 29 Apr 2006 08:32:38; edited 1 time in total
Little Bruin
Boo Boo

jmagecko
Rated PG

PostPosted: Mon, 13 Feb 2006 23:40:08    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

Review should have pointed out that the "TF" combined watts output for the +3.3V and +5V rails is extremely low for a PSU of this capacity.

TF=165Watts is LESS than many 300W and 400W "Total Watts" category units, which often provide a TF of 180Watts or more. High capacity PSUs with TF > 220Watts are available. Those extra 60+ watts can make a big difference in some configurations.

In system configurations with high power demand +3.3V and +5V components, users can run into power stability, random system freezes, undetected data corruption, and shutdown/reboot issues.

-----------

While a multimeter can provide some information, a storage oscilloscope provides information needed to assess voltage stability, and transient spikes and dips...particularly during instances of transient load variations.

-----------

Reviewers also need to start addressing electrical safety certifications, and verify a unit is actually safety certified as a power supply and doesn't just have a sticker based on a component grade (a misdirection method used by some manufacturers)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bigbruin.com Forum Index -> Power All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: