Home :: Reviews & Articles ::
Forum :: Info :: :: Facebook :: Youtube :: RSS Feed
Search  :: Register :: Log in
newb wiring question
Go To Page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dfran
Rated NC-17

PostPosted: Sun, 01 May 2005 15:53:19    Post Subject: newb wiring question Reply with quote View Single Post

For the chassis I/O and USB connections, if my mobo has the right 9 pin plug configuration that they use, do I need all the little single leads that come back out of the plug? Can I just snip those off or do I need them for something else?
thanks. Sun
Little Bruin
Boo Boo

LaTech
Ruthless TechTator

PostPosted: Sun, 01 May 2005 20:17:38    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

Erm...I'm not entirely sure that I know what you're talking about (generally not the right time to post a response, I know). You're saying there are the 9 pins on the mobo for the USB connector, but you have wires left over?

Please advise...

Dfran
Rated NC-17

PostPosted: Mon, 02 May 2005 01:10:46    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

There are two cables coming from the front I/O ports. One goes to audio in/out on the mobo in the form of a plug which agrees with my mobo. Where the wires go into the plug from the cable, each one also has a wire coming back out, 2 inches long with and individual plug on it. I thought this was maybe if the mobo didn't have the same plug you could use the individual leads, or it was so you could plug something else into it. Not sure. Same for USB plug.
thanks

G-Skill F2800, PC2 8500, 2 x 2G
EVGA 8800GTS(@600, 902)
Corsair TX750
vulcan
Pleased but Sticky.

PostPosted: Mon, 02 May 2005 04:25:30    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

this individual plug - would it be an audio plug on the audio cables and usb on the usb cables?
PRpaTi
Rated R

PostPosted: Mon, 02 May 2005 07:54:01    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

I would tend to think those individual plugs are for the USB connection. Case makers started taking this aproach b/c there were incompatibilities with Mobo USB headers and they couldn't get to an agreement about the whole pin layout. What's not entirely clear to me is why they are only 2 inches long.

If you could post a pic or point to a manual of the case we could be of more help...

EDIT: re-reading your last post I think you're right. As long as the case conector fits your motherboard (and the ports work well), there's no need for the single connectors. These are included for compatability reasons. Before you start clipping them, post a pic just in case... and if you clip them, remember to insulate the cables well to prevent a cc. (sorry... the morning's coffee is just starting to kick in Wink)
Kilamon
Rated XXX

PostPosted: Mon, 02 May 2005 15:11:32    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

How about posting your motherboard model and case model so we can be informed?
LaTech
Ruthless TechTator

PostPosted: Mon, 02 May 2005 19:02:47    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

It could be that he has the audio jacks on the front of the case (I have a case like that...the X-Dreamer). If those are the wires you mean, they are meant to feed through your case and plug into your soundcard so you don't have to reach around back to plug in your headphone.
Little Bruin
Boo Boo

Dfran
Rated NC-17

PostPosted: Tue, 03 May 2005 00:48:22    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

Look at the middle cable, and the one just on either side. There is a plug (which fits my mobo), and then there are the extra single plugs doubling back off from it. [Lian Li PC-6077, Asus A8N-SLI].

PC-6077 case wires.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  26.5 KB
 Viewed:  655 Time(s)

PC-6077 case wires.JPG

Spire
Hall Pass B!tch!!!

PostPosted: Tue, 03 May 2005 00:57:18    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

I ran into this with the last case I reviewed.

It is indeed the same thing. You can EITHER use the single 9 pin, or the singles, they do the same thing.

That was one of the cons in the review.

I think there is a pic in it...

Check bottom of page two here
LaTech
Ruthless TechTator

PostPosted: Tue, 03 May 2005 07:14:06    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

damn, that IS a lot of wires!!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bigbruin.com Forum Index -> Hardware All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Go To Page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: