Bigbruin.com
Home :: Reviews & Articles ::
Forum :: Info :: :: Facebook :: Youtube :: RSS Feed
Search  :: Register :: Log in
Temp probe, AMD3500 939?
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dfran
Rated NC-17

PostPosted: Fri, 08 Apr 2005 23:11:06    Post Subject: Temp probe, AMD3500 939? Reply with quote View Single Post

Where do I install the temp probe on this cpu? All the pictures I've seen on the internet have a cpu without the cover over the top so you can squeeze it in below the HS and next to the core. That is not the case here, does anyone know how that works? Bang Head
Little Bruin
Boo Boo

Doctor Feelgood
Arrrrghh!

PostPosted: Fri, 08 Apr 2005 23:30:37    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

I would stick it to the base of the heatsink, as close to the core/cap as possible. Do a dry run to see how close you can get, take the heatsink off, and stick it on.
BeerCheeze
*hick*

PostPosted: Fri, 08 Apr 2005 23:48:54    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

Make sure you don't put it between the core and the heatsink!! You'll fry your CPU.
oldsage
Rated PG

PostPosted: Sun, 10 Apr 2005 23:42:57    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

You can stick it on the side of that aluminum heat spreader that they have on the top of the CPU. That is what I did on my AMD 64 CPU when I built my system.

Sticking it on the side is the safest place too.
Dfran
Rated NC-17

PostPosted: Mon, 11 Apr 2005 23:41:32    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

Thanks for the help everyone. I did think about putting the probe on the sidewall of the cpu. It seemed thought that it would get squished together a bit as a little bit of the orange material it is in would be sticking up above the top surface. I didn't know if that would affect it or not. I have an Asus A8N-SLI mobo, what about the onboard monitoring, that's the "q-fan controller" right? Is that a safer bet?
Thanks

G-Skill F2800, PC2 8500, 2 x 2G
EVGA 8800GTS(@600, 902)
Corsair TX750
Hellfire
Rated XXX

PostPosted: Tue, 12 Apr 2005 07:51:43    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

On my Gigabyte K8N-SLI I tested the CoolerMaster CoolDrive IV vs the onboard temperature readings. They were identical temperatures.

I would assume the Asus temperature readings would be just as accurate.
HackaX0rus
Rated XXX

PostPosted: Tue, 12 Apr 2005 16:36:29    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

even if they have tested the same as temp prboes...if you already have one its nice to know you always ahve an accurate reading right there.
Little Bruin
Boo Boo

Dfran
Rated NC-17

PostPosted: Mon, 02 May 2005 12:47:17    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

I'm reviewing this as I am RMA'ing my mobo. I have a Zalman heatsink, and the contact area is the same as the cpu. I put it as close as I could but it doesn't seem great. I read somewhere (can't find it now) about bringing the HS to a machine shop and having them make a tiny channel in the bottom for the probe and then it would be very accurate. (yeah I know, sounds like a big pain in the neck, would be cool once it's done though). Has anyone heard of this? I was concerned about taking material off the bottom of the heatsink, albeit very little. ??
G-Skill F2800, PC2 8500, 2 x 2G
EVGA 8800GTS(@600, 902)
Corsair TX750
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bigbruin.com Forum Index -> Hardware All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: