Bigbruin.com
Home :: Reviews & Articles ::
Forum :: Info :: :: Facebook :: Youtube :: RSS Feed
Search  :: Register :: Log in
CPU question for new build
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Shadowsilence
I <3 Chevrolet

PostPosted: Sat, 07 Nov 2009 08:11:57    Post Subject: CPU question for new build Reply with quote View Single Post

I've been thinking of building a new system... again. I've always enjoyed AMD, but the last system I built was an intel Core 2 Duo. But upon looking at a new system to build. I know that the Intel i7 is an amazing processor, but I'm wondering from a non-overclocking point of view. Would I really notice any performance gains building a system using Intel or AMD. There's almost a $100 difference between the 600mhz difference, so I was curious if I'd notice a difference or not real world as a mild gamer.
Little Bruin
Boo Boo

Doctor Feelgood
Arrrrghh!

PostPosted: Sat, 07 Nov 2009 12:45:35    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

What processors were you looking at from AMD and Intel? Might not really see much difference, but it may also depend on what hardware you already have and plan to get to go with it... like motherboard and memory.
Shadowsilence
I <3 Chevrolet

PostPosted: Sat, 07 Nov 2009 19:16:54    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

I had links above to the intel Intel Core i7-860 2.8Ghz, and the AMD Phenom II X4 965 Black Edition, 3.4Ghz. As for mobo/ram. I want to lean more towards the AMD because I want roughly 8GB of DDR3 (since my current system is at 8GB, wouldn't want to go less) not sure which speed or latency yet, haven't seriously looked. Just trying to get past the processor delema. Triple channel it's kinda hard to hit that number. I didn't really look into motherboards, since all I really need are the basics since I don't feel like overclocking. Most motherboards are capable of handling 16+GB of memory so my 8GB requirement doesn't really affect the search.
Shadowsilence
I <3 Chevrolet

PostPosted: Wed, 11 Nov 2009 21:38:24    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

I guess from what I've been reading. The AMD Phenom II will be good for what I plan on using it for. The i7 is technically faster but the noticible difference is well none really. I'll go the cheaper way and score more Mhz.
Doctor Feelgood
Arrrrghh!

PostPosted: Thu, 12 Nov 2009 10:05:16    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

Sorry - I missed the links the first time through... In general it would probably be hard to tell the difference.

What about another option? i5? Still very solid, and Micro Center still has the i5 750 for less than most anywhere else... microcenter.com

Slower, but not slow... and you could overclock while saving some $$$.

Do you have 8GB of DDR3 right now? Since i5 would be dual channel, you could still run that configuration if that is what you were talking about.
acruxksa
Doh!

PostPosted: Thu, 12 Nov 2009 13:40:58    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

Shadowsilence, I agree with Jason, you should definitely price out an i5 system before pulling the trigger on the AMD setup. You're right though, you really won't notice a difference in most games and everyday apps regardless of which cpu you choose.

I also don't think you'll see much of a speed difference between a triple channel 6GB memory setup and an 8GB dual channel system. The tri-channel has a bit less memory, but should be slightly faster. Basically memory would be a wash so I wouldn't base your choice of cpu on that. Also, at least in my case, my motherboard supports dual and tri channel memory configurations. Start with the cpu, then decide on a motherboard, memory should come after that, unless you already have the memory and are planning to re-use it.

I <3 Chevrolet

PostPosted: Thu, 12 Nov 2009 18:40:00    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

I just looked up the i5, newegg only has one processor. Doubt I'd choose it over the i7 or Phenom II. I've also been looking at the new ATI 5870 once it's available again. I probably wouldn't be stuck thinking about which to get. But I suppose an AMD chipset would work better with an ATI card. Just like my current Core 2 duo system, I wanted an Nvidia chipset for my 9800GX2. Altho the new chipsets from intel do both crossfire and SLI, I'm still sure the chipsets by those companies do work better together for selecting parts.
Little Bruin
Boo Boo

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bigbruin.com Forum Index -> Hardware All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: