Forum :: Info :: :: Facebook :: Youtube :: RSS Feed
Search  :: Register :: Log in
q6600 and new computer
building new pc
Go To Page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
imadrunkie
Rated PG

PostPosted: Sat, 31 Jan 2009 20:37:16    Post Subject: q6600 and new computer Reply with quote View Single Post

hello, im buying a q6600 not the GO one and need help putting together a pc. Im kinda new to this but was looking to also buy the gigabyte p45 but not sure which type of one. So this is what i need:

case
ram
power supply
hardrive
motherboard (gigabyte p45?)
processor (going to use the q6600)
and maybe a fan to put ontop of the processor to keep cool??

please let me know what you guys think of to do?? also kinda keep it under 700$ Smile if thats even possible?

thanks!!!
Chris
Little Bruin
Boo Boo

Doctor Feelgood
Arrrrghh!

PostPosted: Sat, 31 Jan 2009 20:56:55    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

Hi - Welcome! Definitely possible for under $700, but it depends on some of the options...

Would this be a P45 based on DDR2 or DDR3? DDR3 does make it more expensive. DDR2 RAM is cheap, so you could probably get something from OCZ, G.Skill, or other good brands for something like $50 for 4GB.

Many of things might come down to good deal hunting on solid brands (PSU, case, hard drive).

What about the video card? That could take the biggest chunk out of your budget if you let it.

I guess that is a start...
imadrunkie
Rated PG

PostPosted: Sat, 31 Jan 2009 21:02:42    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

yeah forgot about the video card. Im using a 32inch toshiba 720p lcd for my monitor so would like to get high quality videos outta the card. any good (kinda cheap) cards out there that u suggest? also what kinda case would fit the motherboard and also cool the insides down? thanks
Doctor Feelgood
Arrrrghh!

PostPosted: Sun, 01 Feb 2009 11:17:42    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

Do you play 3D games or is this more of a web surfing / multimedia build?

This card was marginal for serious gaming and very good for home theater...

http://www.bigbruin.com/2008/sapphire4830_1

Will cost about $90 at Newegg. There are definitely cheaper cards too, which may be fine if you are not worried about high frame rates in games.

As for cases, plenty of options... I like Thermaltake and Cooler Master, and they provide good cooling at reasonable prices. I'd consider the same companies for a PSU... maybe something like a 650W-750W unit.
acruxksa
Doh!

PostPosted: Sun, 01 Feb 2009 17:48:30    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

Anything in the Gigabyte GA-EP45 series or Asus P5Q series will work great for you, but there is very little need to go with the top of the line which would be Gigabytes DQ6 or or Asus' premium board.

Do you already have the q6600 (B3)? They are fine cpu's (I've got a couple G0's and a B3) but unless you already own the B3 stepping or are getting a deal you can't refuse, there's no reason not to get the G0 version, it runs slightly cooler.

Since the q6600 is a 1066Mhz bus CPU you will be just fine with any of the more common brands of 800Mhz DDR2 (PC6400). This would be enough to take your cpu to 3.6Ghz with a 1:1 divider and that's more than the B3 stepping can do consistently on air. The G0's make it to 3.6Ghz on air more often, but it's still not the norm.

Jason has a good videocard recommendation and would know better than me which ones would work best on the 32" lcd. What type of connections does your TV have? HDMI, DVI, VGA some of each? Anyway the 4830 is a solid card and since your talking about a resolution of 1280x720 (it may need to be slightly different to fit your screen properly) it should work for most games, but if your into the more demanding gaming releases you might want to consider something in the 4850 range.

A solid 650w-750w psu is more than enough for your needs and would even support your system if you decided to get one 4830 or 4850 gpu now and add another card later to take advantage of CrossFire.

There are several coolers that should meet your needs. The Arctic Cooling Freezer 7, Tuniq Tower 120 or Zalman 9700 are just a few of them. If you don't plan to overclock, you could probably get away with stock cooling initially and upgrade later, unless it's an OEM chip that doesn't come with a heatsink and fan.

I hope this helps. Post back if you have anymore questions.

Arrrrghh!

PostPosted: Mon, 02 Feb 2009 00:04:23    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

That Sapphire 4830 is $75 now at newegg.com - well, after a $10 mail-in-rebate and $10 off coupon code: HOW13010

Free shipping, too. Grin
imadrunkie
Rated PG

PostPosted: Sat, 07 Feb 2009 02:31:09    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

thanks for all the info, sorry i havnt got back fast been really busy! so im thinking almost 100% sure on the Sapphire 4830. looks like a beast hahah.
Little Bruin
Boo Boo

zachig
Rated XXX

PostPosted: Tue, 07 Apr 2009 10:50:53    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

The HD4830 is a good card for its price, but if you can afford to spend a bit more, I'd go with a HD4850 Video Card, which has much better performance.

Regarding the motherboard, it really depends if you plan on overclocking.

I just bought 2 weeks ago the Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3P motherboard.

It has great durability and stability, build with great components and allows greak overclocking options.

I have the Q6600 G0 and I could easily overclock it to 3.2GHz from its stock 2.4GHz speed.

If you don't plan on overclocking, you can always get Gigabyte cheaper P45 motherboard, the DS3... Smile

Hope this helps... Grin
MadHacker
Rated PG-13

PostPosted: Tue, 07 Apr 2009 22:42:54    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

if you are a gamer at all then i would recomend a HD4850 Video card. how ever if your not a gamer and just use it for video then HD4830 is the card for you...
sbrehm72255
Rated XXX

PostPosted: Wed, 08 Apr 2009 13:40:53    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

The 4830 perform on the same level as the Nvidia 8800GT (G92 cores) so that card would work great for medium gaming, not to mention that the price is right as well.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bigbruin.com Forum Index -> Hardware All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Go To Page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: