Bigbruin.com
Home :: Reviews & Articles ::
Forum :: Info :: :: Facebook :: Youtube :: RSS Feed
Search  :: Register :: Log in
Using thermaltake water cooling parts
seeing if this will work
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bigbruin.com Forum Index -> Overclocking, Cooling, and Modding
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Papapud
Rated PG

PostPosted: Tue, 17 Jun 2008 01:02:29    Post Subject: Using thermaltake water cooling parts Reply with quote View Single Post

So I have both a thermaltake rhythm and a rocket. Had the rocket from earlier and now use the rythm. My question would be could I hook them up in series? Would there be any adverse effects? Im worried about pressure loss in the system due to the rocket being kind of like a water fountain. It is sealed though pressure should stay. Also the rocket has what appears to be a good amount of crossion. alot of white particulate I dont really know what from because the rhythm doesn't seem to be exhibiting the same symptoms. Finally corossion would using those both increase it greatly or just slightly since i believe their both made of aluminum. Thanks for any help on the matter and feel free to suggest other means. Thanks again.
Little Bruin
Boo Boo

~*77*~
Xenophobe

PostPosted: Tue, 17 Jun 2008 08:04:56    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

What pieces do you plan to reuse? What do you need? Extra waterblocks on a single cooling circuit?

Using both pumps is a bad idea, imo, since you'd really have to work hard / get lucky for them to be identical enough not to cause problems.

I'd looking at using one kit, and perhaps modifying it for extra blocks. Like clean up the block from the Rocket and add it to the Rhythm circuit. The clean the hoses / blocks to get all the junk out... I think Vinegar is good. Also, get a good colling additive to add to distilled water in the lines to reduce corrosion.
Papapud
Rated PG

PostPosted: Tue, 17 Jun 2008 17:05:36    Post Subject: the setup Reply with quote View Single Post

I am gonna get a brand new block much higher quality than the thermaltake block. Im going to add a water block to my videocard. So the setup will be the rocket will act as the resevoir the pump will draw suction on the rocket pump it through the cpu then the videocard out to the rhythm which will then flow into the rocket/resevoir. My coolant im pretty sure is gonna be primochill pure performace edition. It is corossion resistant and is good at lowering temperature. So it is gonna be passive and activly cooled. like I said though I am worried about corrosion because of what my rocket looks like now but that had cheap thermaltake coolant in it and the pressure drop due to the rockets unique way of cooling. i think the primochill will handle corrosion well and i am upgrading to a 500l/hr pump so the only thing still stock is the rythm iself and and some of the hoses.
Doctor Feelgood
Arrrrghh!

PostPosted: Wed, 18 Jun 2008 07:59:29    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

Sounds like a good plan to me.

The corrosion could happen when dissimilar metals are in the same circuit. Aluminum and copper should play nice together... you would hope so since they are sold together in many water coolers. A good coolant should help, too.

Want to buy another Rhythm? Cheap! Grin
Papapud
Rated PG

PostPosted: Wed, 18 Jun 2008 12:40:17    Post Subject: maybe Reply with quote View Single Post

maybe depending on the price i just need the unit none of the hoses but i do need the stand so i can set it vertical
Doctor Feelgood
Arrrrghh!

PostPosted: Wed, 18 Jun 2008 13:21:31    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

Whole thing is just sitting here (plus stand)... Sad and lonely. Laughing

Papapud
Rated PG

PostPosted: Wed, 18 Jun 2008 15:23:01    Post Subject: another question Reply with quote View Single Post

How much? I have another question though Would it hurt anything to keep the pump running circulating coolant with the computer off? So no heat input just water circulating. Since watercooling only reduces the temperatures to ambient I dont see how it could hurt.
Little Bruin
Boo Boo

Doctor Feelgood
Arrrrghh!

PostPosted: Wed, 18 Jun 2008 16:02:19    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

I guess condensation would be my concern. With heat from the components always being added to the coolant with the system on it isn't a problem, but if the coolant kept flowing with no heat to deal with it might get soggy inside your system... given the right conditions.
Papapud
Rated PG

PostPosted: Wed, 18 Jun 2008 16:33:03    Post Subject: good point Reply with quote View Single Post

Thats a good point I guess I could just leave the computer running it wouldn't hurt anything to just leave it on.
Doctor Feelgood
Arrrrghh!

PostPosted: Wed, 18 Jun 2008 17:35:38    Post Subject: Re: good point Reply with quote View Single Post

Papapud wrote:
Thats a good point I guess I could just leave the computer running it wouldn't hurt anything to just leave it on.

Sure - and then fire up Folding @ Home while you're at it... Grin

http://www.bigbruin.com/item_698
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bigbruin.com Forum Index -> Overclocking, Cooling, and Modding All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: