Bigbruin.com
Home :: Reviews & Articles ::
Forum :: Info :: :: Facebook :: Youtube :: RSS Feed
Search  :: Register :: Log in
DirectX10 Video Card
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BeerCheeze
*hick*

PostPosted: Tue, 10 Jul 2007 13:42:15    Post Subject: DirectX10 Video Card Reply with quote View Single Post

I'm specing out a new system with the price drop of the AMD CPU's suddenly it's becoming very attractive. With this I'm looking at upgrading my video card (currently a ATI x850XT). I'm considering getting a DirectX10 card, but they start pretty much at $100 more than a good DirectX9 card.

Any thoughts if it's really worth it? Hoping that someone who follows games more closely than I do will know if this is something that is worth considering now, or waiting a year or two for.
Little Bruin
Boo Boo

acruxksa
Doh!

PostPosted: Tue, 10 Jul 2007 14:44:32    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

I think a dx10 card will definitely be worth it in about 6 months. DX10 was supposed to be a Vista exclusive, but it appears M$ may be rethinking this decision. In any case the list of DX10 games is still pretty short, but increasing rapidly.

If I was buying a video card now though, I think I'd bite the bullet and get an 8800gts. Since my gaming (WoW) and resolution rrequirements (1680x1050) aren't all that spectacular I would likely get the 320mb version.

I would go with a dx10 card now, not for the dx10 games that will eventually be released, but for the great resolutions and frame rates it gives you with current dx9 games.

Arrrrghh!

PostPosted: Tue, 10 Jul 2007 14:51:07    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

You can get well under $100 on a DirectX 10 card... But what are you going to play? If it is still a Dx 9 game, does it matter?

$50 @ Newegg after $10 rebate on a 256MB GeForce 8400GS. Grin
BeerCheeze
*hick*

PostPosted: Tue, 10 Jul 2007 15:09:29    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

Doctor Feelgood wrote:
You can get well under $100 on a DirectX 10 card... But what are you going to play? If it is still a Dx 9 game, does it matter?

$50 @ Newegg after $10 rebate on a 256MB GeForce 8400GS. Grin

Yea, but I'm not going to downgrade my video card. I'm sure my current card is better than that.

And what am I going to play? I dunno. I play 1 or two things now, but who knows what I will play in the future.
BeerCheeze
*hick*

PostPosted: Tue, 10 Jul 2007 15:20:47    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

acruxksa wrote:
I think a dx10 card will definitely be worth it in about 6 months. DX10 was supposed to be a Vista exclusive, but it appears M$ may be rethinking this decision. In any case the list of DX10 games is still pretty short, but increasing rapidly.

If I was buying a video card now though, I think I'd bite the bullet and get an 8800gts. Since my gaming (WoW) and resolution rrequirements (1680x1050) aren't all that spectacular I would likely get the 320mb version.

I would go with a dx10 card now, not for the dx10 games that will eventually be released, but for the great resolutions and frame rates it gives you with current dx9 games.

That's sort of what I was leaning towards, also along that line is going with Nvidia or ATi better?
Doctor Feelgood
Arrrrghh!

PostPosted: Tue, 10 Jul 2007 15:20:53    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

Dr. EvilCheeze wrote:
And what am I going to play? I dunno. I play 1 or two things now, but who knows what I will play in the future.

Hmm, yeah... That's hard to plan for. Laughing
acruxksa
Doh!

PostPosted: Tue, 10 Jul 2007 16:01:33    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

right now, ATI's best dx10 card (2900XT) is comparable to a high end 8800gts, but with huge power requirements. I like ATI for their image quality, but have read many times that Nvidia's new dx10 cards have very good image quality. Currently I would go with nvidia's 8800gts, at least until ATI releases a better card that uses less power. The 2600XT is supposed to be cool running, but it's comparable to the 8600GTS, not the 8800GTS and I'm not sure it's out yet
Boo Boo

BeerCheeze
*hick*

PostPosted: Tue, 10 Jul 2007 17:58:49    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

acruxksa wrote:
right now, ATI's best dx10 card (2900XT) is comparable to a high end 8800gts, but with huge power requirements. I like ATI for their image quality, but have read many times that Nvidia's new dx10 cards have very good image quality. Currently I would go with nvidia's 8800gts, at least until ATI releases a better card that uses less power. The 2600XT is supposed to be cool running, but it's comparable to the 8600GTS, not the 8800GTS and I'm not sure it's out yet

Which ever I go with now, will probably be a 2 yr thing. I am planning to get 1 card now, and possibly in a few months throw in a 2nd card for SLI/Crossfire.

Also determines which chipset I'm buying on the board.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bigbruin.com Forum Index -> Hardware All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: