Bigbruin.com
Home :: Reviews & Articles ::
Forum :: Info :: :: Facebook :: Youtube :: RSS Feed
Search  :: Register :: Log in
got my new hdd in windows still wont install
View previous topic :: View next topic  
FOX
I <3 Quail

PostPosted: Tue, 17 Oct 2006 21:56:11    Post Subject: got my new hdd in windows still wont install Reply with quote View Single Post

this is the dumbest question and ive looked everywhere

im trying to get windows installed on a single sata drive no raid so i can use my system again. Bios can see the hdd windows installer starts i hit f6 install the drivers, windows still cannot detect the drive... ive tested the cable the slot its in and at this point im stumped. i installed the drivers (2 different ones) that the mobo cd came with theres a precision driver and a fastrack both for sata that im installing to attempt to get it to work. am i missing something or is there a different driver i need directly from windows or something? i really need my system back up and running its been over a week now.

its an asus a8v deluxe board with a seagate 120g sata hdd

thanks!

http://www.facebook.com/DjFOXDnB
My site where I have my latest mixes! www.DjSourceInfo.com
Little Bruin
Boo Boo

Modulok
Rated XXX

PostPosted: Tue, 17 Oct 2006 21:59:25    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

idk, any system ive installed a sata drive in xp saw the hard drive w/o using F6...I only use F6 for bios raid setups.
FOX
I <3 Quail

PostPosted: Wed, 18 Oct 2006 10:58:22    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

yea i tried that too and nothing... im using a sp1 windows disk so it doesnt have any sata drivers on it im probably going to have to call tech support when i get home today Sad

Kilamon
Rated XXX

PostPosted: Wed, 18 Oct 2006 11:12:39    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

You said the mobo can see the drive, but is the bios set to make the drive bootable? What about your linux rescue CD? There's a tool on there that does nothing more than boot and give you a metric s#!7 ton of information about the computer. Did you try that and see if it can see the drive? Chances are that if the SCD can't see it, then nothing else will which is usually indicative of a setup problem from your bios. The only time I saw that occur on my system was after I had installed my SATA but BEFORE I had told my chipset to use the drive plainly.
Modulok
Rated XXX

PostPosted: Wed, 18 Oct 2006 11:15:59    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

FOX wrote:
yea i tried that too and nothing... im using a sp1 windows disk so it doesnt have any sata drivers on it im probably going to have to call tech support when i get home today Sad

could always slipstream in sp2
FOX
I <3 Quail

PostPosted: Wed, 18 Oct 2006 16:14:04    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

when i go into the bios i have it set as the 3rd boot right now... before that i have the floppy then my rom so it is set to bootable. I turned the raid off and set that to the IDE option which is what asus tech told me to do.... if i pull the battery out of the mobo will that reset everything back to the manufacturers settings? I never updated the bios so I don't think thats it but its worth a shot

Kilamon
Rated XXX

PostPosted: Wed, 18 Oct 2006 18:05:12    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

You could try updating the bios and/or clearing it back to default settings, but I doubt that will fix your problem. Go get Austrumi http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=103017&package_id=110546&release_id=415615 and then use the information gathering tool (press f2, f3 or f4 for the options at the boot: prompt) to tell if the disk is visible once booted.

If the info tool can see the disk, then you can use qtparted (also on the austrumi disk) to partition it and prep for installation. If you don't see the disk with either of these tools, then you have a bad hdd.
Little Bruin
Boo Boo

FOX
I <3 Quail

PostPosted: Fri, 20 Oct 2006 14:33:11    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

i got it up and running last night finally! lol.... I called asus tech support for the second time and got someone really nice took about 2 minutes and he told me what driver i needed... very happy that it worked and i never would have thought of using the driver he told me about my board uses fastrack, promise and the one i needed which was a via raid driver. I didn't use that one since im not running raid... so thats a my bad lol

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bigbruin.com Forum Index -> Software All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: