Bigbruin.com
Home :: Reviews & Articles ::
Forum :: Info :: :: Facebook :: Youtube :: RSS Feed
Search  :: Register :: Log in
In over my head....need help......
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lyas
Rated PG

PostPosted: Wed, 21 Jun 2006 09:41:37    Post Subject: In over my head....need help...... Reply with quote View Single Post

I am reading reading reading and I more confused now.

Someone make it clear for me please.

Here is what I want.....
I want to be able to watch cable tv in a window on my computer.
I want to watch independently from the "tv" in the room.
I would like to be able to record my favorite shows and play them back later on my computer.

Is this possible all in one unit?
In your opinion... which one is the best one to accomplish this?

Thanks for the help!
Little Bruin
Boo Boo

Enigmachine
Rated NC-17

PostPosted: Wed, 21 Jun 2006 10:08:08    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

What makes you think you can't achieve this with a simple capture card like the Hauppauge WinTV-PVR150?

(I mention this card because it's a good starting point, you can find cards with better pictures, better drivers, etc, but for a hardware encoding card it's a common one.)
dadx2mj
Happy Camper

PostPosted: Wed, 21 Jun 2006 10:18:12    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

Yeah just a TV Tuner card will do it. I have a Winfast XP 2000 that does all that with ease. Mine gets it signal from a cable split off from the TV so it is tied to the same show as on the TV but if I ran it's own cable to it instead it could be on a separate channel than the TV is.
BeerCheeze
*hick*

PostPosted: Wed, 21 Jun 2006 11:04:12    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

Yep, TV Tuner card, and if you want added functionality you can use Windows MCE (Media Center Edition).
DragonMaster
Rated NC-17

PostPosted: Wed, 21 Jun 2006 11:21:44    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

If you don't want to spend a lot, there's a cheap Asus card with lots of bundled software.

If you don't matter to spend more or if your computer is too slow (post your specs)
you could go with an ATi theater 550 - 650 based card that does hardware encoding (much less CPU use)

Then, there's HDTV cards, but since you have cable, there probably isn't much content in HDTV available for you. (Antenna TV wins this time!) But this might change and if you want future compatibility it may be worth it, but these cards are pretty expensive so it's better to wait.

Finally, there are dual tuner cards. If you want to watch TV and record something else at the same time, you need either two cards or a dual card. (Cheaper, less PCI slots)
JimBowy

PostPosted: Wed, 21 Jun 2006 23:24:51    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

Jason (BigBruin) did a review on such a card....
mrweasel
I can haz cheezbrgr?

PostPosted: Thu, 22 Jun 2006 09:37:29    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

there's also some fine free "media centre" apps out there, just Google
Boo Boo

Hellfire
Rated XXX

PostPosted: Thu, 22 Jun 2006 09:46:56    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

Lots of things to consider for this...

The tv tuner card is a must obviously...you can get internal or a USB model. Big Bruin did a review of a USB model, I did one of a PCI model.

Software, many of them come with some sort of software to do TV viewing, and some to do recording. The recording aspect of it you need to decide what kind of recording. Like a DVR? If so, you'll want to find one that includes a TV guide option. Again, there are many of them out there.

Windows Media Center is great, I'm using it curently, but will probably be going back to Snapstream in the next few weeks. There are things about MCE that drives me up the wall.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bigbruin.com Forum Index -> Hardware All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: