Home :: Reviews & Articles ::
Forum :: Info :: :: Facebook :: Youtube :: RSS Feed
Search  :: Register :: Log in
Home Media Server
Go To Page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BeerCheeze
*hick*

PostPosted: Wed, 02 Dec 2009 15:57:01    Post Subject: Home Media Server Reply with quote View Single Post

OK, new project for 09/10 for me. I am looking into making a home media server/system that both the wife and I, as well as the kids can all use (possibly at the same time). So I'm looking for anyone with experiences with doing it, and any recommendations.

Requirements:
1) Accessible via network.
2) Able to be watched on multiple systems (at once), watching multiple video streams
3) Able to be used by different types of devices - Xbox, Wii, PC, etc...
4) Access to things such as Netflix, locally riped DVD's, Hulu, etc...

Known Issues:
I realize there are some network and system requirements that will be pretty steep for this, however I can/will build a system that can handle it (i.e. Quad Core, lots of RAM, diskspace) and I am looking to upgrade my network (all Gigabit and Wireless-N). The only problem may be my internet connection, but I'm limited right now, however I may even consider adding an additional ISP (cable) to handle just steaming video/audio. I'll figure this out in some way or fashion.

What I know:
PlayOn - Been testing this, and still looking at more. Nice features, but I'm still not sure how to use on Windows PC's, and how to have DVD's play on it. It did play the Ripped DVD's that I have, but each VOB file had to be opened separately (at least when I was testing this on our Wii). I need to make this "child proof" so my 6 - 10 yr old kids can use it easily.

Windows Media Player- I know this will do somethings, but I think it falls WAY short of what I'm looking for.

Any thoughts, suggestions, helpful hints, experiences, etc... are greatly appreciated. Just because I'm listing Windows apps above doesn't mean it has to be windows based. But it HAS to meet the requirements with out me having to compile code Grin
Little Bruin
Boo Boo

Modulok
Rated XXX

PostPosted: Wed, 02 Dec 2009 18:12:02    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

Until June 2009 I was using Mythbuntu as a home media center. The initial install isn't bad, but research the hell out of the hardware you buy/want to use.

http://www.mythbuntu.org/image

PS - Reason I am not using it is b/c I don't watch tv that much, and never felt like changing the config to work with a digital cable box.
BeerCheeze
*hick*

PostPosted: Wed, 02 Dec 2009 19:12:54    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

MythTV is just a PVR/DVR, not really what I'm looking for.

Been playing with PlayOn more, and I'm really starting to like it. Works OK on the Wii, but works really great on the Xbox.
Modulok
Rated XXX

PostPosted: Wed, 02 Dec 2009 20:28:46    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

I also used to use MediaTomb for streaming my media to PS3.
acruxksa
Doh!

PostPosted: Wed, 02 Dec 2009 21:20:45    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

I don't have much experience beyond Window Media Player and the xbox360, but netflix and hulu should simply require an internet connections shouldn't they. Problem with netflix is that you have to register each device, so you would probably only be able to use 2 or 3 computer with the account simultaneously. Not sure on hulu. I feel like a broken record saying it, but the AV Science forum actually has a Digital Media Server and Content Streaming subforum. Most of it is about hardware devices, but there are some good threads concerning content delivery methods and different codecs etc that might be of interest.
*hick*

PostPosted: Wed, 02 Dec 2009 23:21:47    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

Thanks, I'll look through there. The more I play with PlayOn the more I'm liking it.

Still some work to be done, but it's looking good so far.
Spire
Hall Pass B!tch!!!

PostPosted: Wed, 02 Dec 2009 23:38:44    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

I'm running an ANCIENT Asus with all the old components from WAY BACK with Home Server installed. It only has a gig connection, power hooked up, and a few TB's of storage.

Upstairs I just run Windows Media Center as an HTPC. I also installed My Movies and have the server set up as the DVD rip storage.

I can select any movie I own, Watch netflix (With Netflix for media center), play all the music and watch any videos stored on the server.

The only thing we don't do with the HTPC is watch Dish Network.

All this is on a 58" Samsung. I also run a standard monitor to use the machine as a normal PC and for configuring the server and HTPC machine.

The Server also backs up all the machines in the house every night.

A Logitech Harmony 880 Remote ties it all together.

Simple and I have not had to screw around with any of it to get it working.

I do want to check out PlayOn since you said it is workign so well.

EDIT: I have not tried Wii access, but the PS3 has no issues getting to the normal music, videos, etc... Not sure about the DVD rips though, might have to play with that.
Little Bruin
Boo Boo

Spire
Hall Pass B!tch!!!

PostPosted: Thu, 03 Dec 2009 01:06:34    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

Seems that My Movies supports extenders! Thats kind of cool.

More reaserch will be needed...
Kilamon
Rated XXX

PostPosted: Thu, 03 Dec 2009 12:02:21    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

How did you get the Asus to talk to the Remote?
Spire
Hall Pass B!tch!!!

PostPosted: Thu, 03 Dec 2009 22:49:41    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

The Asus is the motherboard in the server downstairs. The remote doesn't need to control the server.

The Logitech Harmony remotes have the ability to control even advanced features of Windows Media Center. The server only contains all the media that the HTPC (and Win Media Center) accesses.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bigbruin.com Forum Index -> Software All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Go To Page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: