Bigbruin.com
Home :: Reviews & Articles ::
Forum :: Info :: :: Facebook :: Youtube :: RSS Feed
Search  :: Register :: Log in
1000+ watts?
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Qmoe
Rated PG

PostPosted: Fri, 28 Aug 2009 01:48:28    Post Subject: 1000+ watts? Reply with quote View Single Post

so im looking at newegg for a new power supply, and I notice they have quite a selection of 1000+ watt power supplies. Are there honestly any computers that actually use that much power? I mean sure, some people have a couple video cards in SLI and a power hungry processor, but even then I can't imagine even approaching that much wattage. Are these just enthusiasts who want the best of the best? Or do people really use that much power?
Little Bruin
Boo Boo

Qmoe
Rated PG

PostPosted: Fri, 28 Aug 2009 01:52:06    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

and on a sort of unrelated note, my power supply has been making a humming noise that's gotten louder over the last few months. Even after I unplug it it will make the noise for about 5 seconds before fading out, is this a sign it's about to die or should I not be worried?
BeerCheeze
*hick*

PostPosted: Fri, 28 Aug 2009 13:00:44    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

1000+ watts are overkill for all but the most extreme systems. But some people still like to have them.
nolonger
Rated R

PostPosted: Fri, 04 Sep 2009 12:02:15    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

Qmoe wrote:
and on a sort of unrelated note, my power supply has been making a humming noise that's gotten louder over the last few months. Even after I unplug it it will make the noise for about 5 seconds before fading out, is this a sign it's about to die or should I not be worried?

Probably whining capacitors. This happens to some video cards. Usually it's just the silicon they use to keep them in place losing its effectiveness, you shouldn't worry. It is an RMA'able issue, though.
mrweasel
I can haz cheezbrgr?

PostPosted: Thu, 08 Oct 2009 13:21:24    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

I have a Core i7 and GTX 260s in SLI and it only draws ~500 at full load. No need to waste the bucks on a 1000+w unit IMO
Rated XXX

PostPosted: Thu, 08 Oct 2009 13:25:54    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

Yea, the 1000W units are really only necessary for MAJOR systems...

I'm thinking Quad video, power hungry CPU, lots of hard drives, fans, controllers, etc. Even then I would question whether it's really necessary. I know I've pulled the 1,000W+ units out of all my machines. Didn't pull that much since I didn't need it, but they were heat monsters.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bigbruin.com Forum Index -> Hardware All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: