Bigbruin.com
Home :: Reviews & Articles ::
Forum :: Info :: :: Facebook :: Youtube :: RSS Feed
Search  :: Register :: Log in
RAM speed not being recognized
View previous topic :: View next topic  
skar
Rated PG

PostPosted: Fri, 15 May 2009 13:13:18    Post Subject: RAM speed not being recognized Reply with quote View Single Post

I've just installed newer ram into my computer. The RAM is Corsair XMS2 Dominator DDR2 1066. MB is Asus M3A. Problem is that the computer only recognizes the RAM as 800MHz not 1066. Any help would be appreciated
Little Bruin
Boo Boo

SAMSAMHA
Rated NC-17

PostPosted: Fri, 15 May 2009 16:19:49    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

YOU porbably just have to go into the bios and manually adjust the ram speed. some ram does not come with the epp profile that the board can detect its speed.
x.clay
Rated NC-17

PostPosted: Fri, 15 May 2009 18:46:19    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

I'm had to go into the BIOS to get my RAM to run at 1066. Manually put in the correct RAM timings and make sure the adjust the voltage as well. Some motherboards also need a little bump to the northbridge voltage (MCH) if you are trying to run 2x2gb at 1066.
skar
Rated PG

PostPosted: Fri, 15 May 2009 21:43:29    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

thanks. I'll dig into the bios and try to figure it out.

@ e.clay. Thanks for the voltage hint. I'm running 4x1GB
anduril
Rated PG-13

PostPosted: Tue, 19 May 2009 15:41:50    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

You didn't post a lot of details but according to Asus DDR2 1066 is supported only on AM2+ processors which probably means newer Athlon x2s and Phenoms. But, you can always manually force it in the BIOS. Make sure you're running the latest BIOS as well

http://support.asus.com/download/download.aspx?SLanguage=en-us&model=M3A

skar
Rated PG

PostPosted: Wed, 20 May 2009 13:26:15    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

@ anduril

You are correct on both counts; I didn't start with enough info and Asus boards will support 1066 RAM only with specific family of CPUs. I am running a Phenom x3 710 in this computer. I still haven't had the opportunity to dig into the bios yet.
anduril
Rated PG-13

PostPosted: Wed, 20 May 2009 17:24:45    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

skar wrote:
@ anduril

You are correct on both counts; I didn't start with enough info and Asus boards will support 1066 RAM only with specific family of CPUs. I am running a Phenom x3 710 in this computer. I still haven't had the opportunity to dig into the bios yet.
That processor should support the higher memory speeds then out of the box. Probably just is the board misreading it. Happened with my own memory on an Asus M2A-VM
Little Bruin
Boo Boo

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bigbruin.com Forum Index -> Hardware All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: