Home :: Reviews & Articles ::
Forum :: Info :: :: Facebook :: Youtube :: RSS Feed
Search  :: Register :: Log in
Two physical HDD vs two partation?
Two physical HDD vs two partation
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Thayk
Rated PG

PostPosted: Mon, 20 Apr 2009 04:38:26    Post Subject: Two physical HDD vs two partation? Reply with quote View Single Post

Hi im new here and this my first post. The topics here are very interesting, no-nonsense discussions.

Neways, you may enlighten me on my doubts on hardware.

Which is better? two physical 500 GB hdd versus 1TB HDD in two partitions.

Better means power consumption, data safety, seek speed etc. I intend to use the drive(s) as my OS and data.
Little Bruin
Boo Boo

nolonger
Rated R

PostPosted: Mon, 20 Apr 2009 07:08:00    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

Two 500GB's would, in general, spend more energy and be slightly more expensive. Two physical HD,s however, enable you to make a RAID0 or RAID1 set-up. What this means is in a RAID0 data is split between the 2 drives, so half of each file is written on each HD. In a RAID1 set-up you have each file written in both HD's, so in case one fails, the other one has the same exact data. I'd reccomend a RAID0 set-up in case you don't have too many important files and use the computer for gaming in general. RAID0 has little benefit over writing small files and reading them, but in larger files, reading and writing speed doubles. I would say other RAID set-ups aren't worth it, but some people do like to keep RAID0+1. That does require 4 disks though.
SAMSAMHA
Rated NC-17

PostPosted: Sat, 25 Apr 2009 18:32:13    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

yep, 2 hds will consume more power (~10~15W more). In terms of performance, it usually is better to have a hd that is unpartitioned though I often partition my hd into different sizes.

As for data safety, it's never guarante which one is better or more secure. Backing up is always the best option. having 2 hds setting up in raid usually is the safetest way to go.
curly haired boy
Rated PG

PostPosted: Sun, 26 Apr 2009 13:59:41    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

i'd get the two hard drives and set them up in RAID 1. that way you never have to do backups!
Rated PG

PostPosted: Sun, 26 Apr 2009 14:32:25    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

Personally, I wouldn't go with a RAID setup because it uses up more power and speeds with a single 7200 RPM SATA drive are more than enough for everyday tasks and gaming. You'd probably save a little more in the long run by going with only one HDD.
rambow70
Rated PG

PostPosted: Sun, 26 Apr 2009 16:05:36    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

i would do raid 0
SUSHRUKH
Rated NC-17

PostPosted: Wed, 06 May 2009 02:46:39    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

Two HDDs would consume more heat & energy but you can set them as Raid 0 for greater performance.
Little Bruin
Boo Boo

zachig
Rated XXX

PostPosted: Wed, 06 May 2009 03:04:06    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

I also recommend on RAID 0, Stripping)
That's the setup I have (RAID 0 - Stripe) with my 2x250GB WD HD. Grin

Than of course, I'm doing an image backup on an external drive every week or so... Rolling Eyes

Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3P Motherboard
OCZ Gold PC2-6400 DDR2 800MHz 2x2048MB @5-5-5-15-2T
Zotac GTX275 @713/1512/1260
2x250GB WD H.D in RAID 0
Mushkin 650W PSU
Viewsonic 22" VX2235WM LCD
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bigbruin.com Forum Index -> Hardware All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: