Forum :: Info :: :: Facebook :: Youtube :: RSS Feed
Search  :: Register :: Log in
Folding@Home
Distributed computing project for disease research
Go To Page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 54, 55, 56 ... 75, 76, 77  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
edvallie
Put Beer Here

PostPosted: Fri, 23 May 2008 08:33:44    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

acruxksa wrote:
The standard client will only use one core so you could increase production by running two of them. Each in a separate folder with the -local flag. The SMP client will produce more points per day, but would probably load the server quite a bit to do it.

Looking at the processes list, its using 100% CPU, which kind of confused me at first, being as I was under the impression I was going to have to run 2 clients. Perhaps I'm mistaken, but I thought the SMP client was just a client that utilized your GPU as well as your CPU. Wouldn't that be pretty futile in a 1U server with integrated?

Little Bruin
Boo Boo

SpeedZone
Rated NC-17

PostPosted: Fri, 23 May 2008 09:58:19    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

SMP Client (as far as i know Grin ) utilizes all CPU cores (1,2,4,8...)...as oposed to "ordinary"client which only works on 1 cpu core (and if you run it on i.e. quad core cpu...it will only run on one cpu...so will use only 1/4....or 25% of that quad core cpu's total speed and capability). So with SMP client you dont need to run i.e. 4 clients at once to get that quad core to its max.

For GPU there is totally different client...at the moment that is F@H Windows Client Version 6.11 beta 3 (for ATI cards). And this one folds on GPU, but also needs 1 cpu core for its work (on quad that is 25%).

You were probably confused with all that "graphical client" stuff...i was confused also...cause i didnt know whether that means that it works on gpu or what...but only later found out that those versions are the ones who also display those atoms while folding...nothing more...like a dynamic screensaver...so its not too boring when folding... Grin Laughing Wink

Wave

SpeedZone
Rated NC-17

PostPosted: Sat, 24 May 2008 02:18:04    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

For all the people, using GPU Beta client2 (if any Smile ):

Just noticed yesterday that the new Catalyst 8.5 dont work with that GPU client...they said they need to fix some dll's to make it work....for now...client just goes to sleep and stay there no matter what you do... Rolling Eyes Confused

Catalyst 8.4 or previous versions still work just fine with GPU client (but i wont roll back my 8.5 because of this...because on the other side, the perfomance gains are higher than expected...so i'll rather take few days off...and wait for Stanford to release updated version of client) Wink

Here is link to F@H forum with more info about all this: http://foldingforum.org/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=2726&st=0&sk=t&sd=a&start=15

Wave

Doctor Feelgood
Arrrrghh!

PostPosted: Mon, 26 May 2008 17:40:33    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

I'm trying to make some USB drive folding systems but can't seem to get it to work. I remember now that the same thing happened when I set up my quad opteron, and that is why I use the CD version. That syslinux app never seems to do anything to my USB drives. Any tricks?

Would it be possible for someone to make an image of their thumb drive for me to try to use?
edvallie
Put Beer Here

PostPosted: Mon, 26 May 2008 21:33:11    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

Doctor Feelgood wrote:
I'm trying to make some USB drive folding systems but can't seem to get it to work. I remember now that the same thing happened when I set up my quad opteron, and that is why I use the CD version. That syslinux app never seems to do anything to my USB drives. Any tricks?

Would it be possible for someone to make an image of their thumb drive for me to try to use?

with the full OS loaded on the flash drive or just the client?

Doctor Feelgood
Arrrrghh!

PostPosted: Mon, 26 May 2008 21:47:16    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

Whole thing using the link acruxksa provided...

http://reilly.homeip.net/folding/

I can run the CD version fine, but I can't make a USB version.
acruxksa
Doh!

PostPosted: Tue, 27 May 2008 19:42:15    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

I was unsuccessful in getting the usb folder to install properly on several of my usb keys. I'm not exactly sure why it is, but I believe it might have something to do with the size of the key and the type of filesystem used. I had no problems with my 2gb patriot keys, but have had problems with several larger 4gb keys. Are you using FAT or FAT32? I think FAT is required, but could be wrong. Apparently you may also have to make the usb drive bootable. Here is a link that may help with this: http://www.bootdisk.com/pendrive.htm. The HP utility (Method 2) is supposed to simplify the whole process, but I've never used it so I can't really say for sure.
Boo Boo

acruxksa
Doh!

PostPosted: Mon, 02 Jun 2008 02:06:49    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

Congrats!!! to mrweasel on passing 500,000 pts.
Thumbs Up Thumbs Up Thumbs Up

Rated NC-17

PostPosted: Thu, 05 Jun 2008 03:41:06    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

Congratulations mrweasel! It's nice to see you made it that far. Wink

On the other side...I still wait for fixed GPU2 client version....it's been quite some time now, after they announced they'll fix the problem...but still nothing...it just doesnt work. And I'm not going back to Catalyst 8.4 just to get it to work. Mad I just read in prof. Vijay Pande's blog that they fixed some problems...but after uninstalling and reinstalling the whole thing...same problem appears... Bang Head

Guess I'll just have to wait little longer. Rolling Eyes If nothing else...by running my system all on stock now, without 100% load all the time....and in these hot days lately...at least i'm able to live and breath normally around the machine....which before was almost like mission impossible...(and even my USB cooling device (Thanks again Dr.Feelgood Wink ) and 3 cans of beer stacked one on top of another couldnt help much at that time) Grin King

Wave

Doctor Feelgood
Arrrrghh!

PostPosted: Sun, 08 Jun 2008 20:07:43    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

Oooh... Less than 30 days until I am back in second place! Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bigbruin.com Forum Index -> Software All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Go To Page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 54, 55, 56 ... 75, 76, 77  Next
Page 55 of 77

Jump to: