Home :: Reviews & Articles ::
Forum :: Info :: :: Facebook :: Youtube :: RSS Feed
Search  :: Register :: Log in
Ubuntu Desktop 8.04
Go To Page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic :: View next topic  
acruxksa
Doh!

PostPosted: Thu, 01 May 2008 11:47:11    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

Hardware support is the biggest problem with most flavors of linux. If you have a relatively new video card it usually isn't recognized during the initial install and you have to install the drivers yourself. Sometimes this requires manually tweaking the xorg.conf file and it can get ugly if you aren't expecting it. Your friend should just put a little more effort into it and search the how to's. Everything you need is out there, you just have to get it. As for firefox, I'm not sure why it isn't tabbed, but that just doesn't sound right it should be the same as the windows version of firefox.

The main problem I have with linux is the shear volume of stuff out there, I like to mess with things and that's usually how I get into trouble. If I fight the habit to install the latest and greatest programs, drivers and modules I've had linux run well and stable for years.

Boo Boo

sbrehm72255
Rated XXX

PostPosted: Thu, 01 May 2008 12:03:40    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

Under Ubuntu 8.04 I know that the 8800GT and under are fully supported, on my rig it was simply load and go, easier than Windows.
acruxksa
Doh!

PostPosted: Thu, 01 May 2008 13:09:54    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

sbrehm72255 wrote:
Under Ubuntu 8.04 I know that the 8800GT and under are fully supported, on my rig it was simply load and go, easier than Windows.

which leads me to believe that were probably talking about either an nvidia 9xxx series card or and ATI 3xxx series card. Just a guess though.

Good news for me with my 8800GT though. Are they including compiz and xgl/aiglx in the stock install?

Rated XXX

PostPosted: Thu, 01 May 2008 15:37:13    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

Yup, but you'll need to get the restricted nvidia drivers to use them though. But they are a auto dowmload and install, completwely painless when I did mine (Beta 6) haven't gotten around to downloading the finial version yet.

There is a program caller Envy(I think) that will do a auto install of most video drivers, I used it to install the drivers for my 8800gt on my Ubuntu 7.10 a while back.

http://albertomilone.com/nvidia_scripts1.html

thePMG
Rated XXX

PostPosted: Fri, 02 May 2008 06:04:12    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

The current version Nvidia driver on Linux is 169.12, which is what the restricted driver manager will install for newer cards, up to the 8 series. 9 series cards will need beta driver 173.08 to be installed manually.
acruxksa
Doh!

PostPosted: Fri, 02 May 2008 10:16:24    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

Wow, look who the cat dragged in. Grin
*hick*

PostPosted: Fri, 02 May 2008 11:19:48    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

acruxksa wrote:

He smelled a *nix thread. Mr. T
Little Bruin
Boo Boo

thePMG
Rated XXX

PostPosted: Fri, 02 May 2008 17:23:14    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

Dr. EvilCheeze wrote:
acruxksa wrote:

He smelled a *nix thread. Mr. T

Smelled like...VICTORY! Laughing

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bigbruin.com Forum Index -> Software All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Go To Page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: