Home :: Reviews & Articles ::
Forum :: Info :: :: Facebook :: Youtube :: RSS Feed
Search  :: Register :: Log in
Diagnostic help
Go To Page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BeerLotus
Rated XXX

PostPosted: Tue, 18 Mar 2008 23:05:31    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

K, its still not working. This computer's parts are 3-7 years old, I've been thinking of building a new one.

Know any good parts, deals, sales, etc. that are coming up?
Little Bruin
Boo Boo

~*77*~
Xenophobe

PostPosted: Wed, 19 Mar 2008 08:57:40    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

Oooh, upgrade time! So, what are you looking at? Budget? Planning to keep any parts? Grin
BeerLotus
Rated XXX

PostPosted: Wed, 19 Mar 2008 15:33:02    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

I'm planning on modifying this list that my friends made up, already replaced the Samsung 22" with a acer 20" monitor that was $110 dollars cheaper, the tiny difference in quality doesn't seem worth the cost.

EDIT: This link is crude

I'm thinking of getting rid of the sound card, it seems kinda pointless for $80+ more, when my last motherboard did audio just fine. Also removing one of the 150GB 10k HDs because if I have 1TB of storage in the back I don't think I'll need 300GB just to run all my games and programs, though I could be wrong. I might get 2 smaller ones and raid them, whatever seems like it'll work the best.

Any opinions on what I should do are appreciated. I still haven't looked at the motherboard or CPU but I'm going to get around to comparing them and then changing what ever needs be after I mess with stuff.

Last edited by BeerLotus on Wed, 19 Mar 2008 20:08:48; edited 2 times in total
Doctor Feelgood
Arrrrghh!

PostPosted: Wed, 19 Mar 2008 16:09:22    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

I think that wish list is private... I can't see anything.
BeerLotus
Rated XXX

PostPosted: Wed, 19 Mar 2008 20:09:18    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

Doctor Feelgood
Arrrrghh!

PostPosted: Wed, 19 Mar 2008 20:34:29    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

Nice stuff! I agree... I'd ditch the sound card. And probably both Raptors. Maybe 3 Seagate drives? A RAID 0 OS setup backed up to one drive?

You want 4 DDR2 modules? I might just go with the pair and save some money.

I'd probably go Intel, too... But that is less of an issue.
BeerLotus
Rated XXX

PostPosted: Wed, 19 Mar 2008 21:31:09    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

I intend to build a gaming machine, so I need to make sure that this thing has power.

-I also agree about dropping the audio card.
-I've always been fond of AMD over Intel, so that's what I decided to go with.
-What would you suggest I replace the Raptors with? Three 7200 RPM, 1.5/3.0 SATA, 80GB, 8MB cache drives? I've never been good at figuring out performance for raided drives. If we can get similar speed/performance for cheaper I'll go with that.
-The RAM is still up for debate, I think my friend threw that in there because he likes building intense machines, but I'm not sure if it is necessary. I should be able to host any games that are out with 2GB, though with the $35 rebates 4GB for about $100 sounds tempting.

I'm still a little bit stuck on this computer. I want to go for a "Epic" machine, but I also don't want to waste money on power I won't be using because no games require it.
Little Bruin
Boo Boo

BeerCheeze
*hick*

PostPosted: Wed, 19 Mar 2008 21:58:01    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

<-- AMD Fan boy (This X-mas I bought the 1st Intel based system since 1996/97).

Intel right now is the RIGHT way to go if you go Quad core. The current Phantom's have problems that cause lock ups, unless the right BIOS is installed with then decreases performance.
BeerLotus
Rated XXX

PostPosted: Wed, 19 Mar 2008 22:44:16    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

I don't know anything about Intel, so I might need some help deciding what to go with. Also AMD seems to be better price wise, or is there some sort of magic with the processor power of Intel, meaning they are actually worth the increase in price?
~*77*~
Xenophobe

PostPosted: Thu, 20 Mar 2008 08:11:13    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

Q6600 (Quad 2.4GHz) is still a popular chip, and around $250... Even less if you shop around. Stock performance is great, but it overclocks well, too.

Oh, and they'd probably be 16MB cache drives these days.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bigbruin.com Forum Index -> Hardware All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Go To Page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: