Home :: Reviews & Articles ::
Forum :: Info :: :: Facebook :: Youtube :: RSS Feed
Search  :: Register :: Log in
Anyone use Netflix?
Or Blockbuster Online?
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Doctor Feelgood
Arrrrghh!

PostPosted: Mon, 26 Nov 2007 22:21:46    Post Subject: Anyone use Netflix? Reply with quote View Single Post

Does anyone use either Netflix or Blockbuster Online?

I was going to sign up for Netflix, but then thought being able to return to a local Blockbuster might be nice.

Netflix has a promo for a free trial. I thought Blockbuster was ending their online service, but I see they have a promotion, too...

Last edited by Doctor Feelgood on Thu, 19 Jun 2008 21:34:33; edited 2 times in total
Little Bruin
Boo Boo

BeerCheeze
*hick*

PostPosted: Mon, 26 Nov 2007 22:25:56    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

Used Netflix when it first came out. Worked fine except back then we had problems getting 1st run movies. I hear they have changed that though.

Either would probably be fine as long as you rent say more than 3 movies on average a month.

Also if you're looking into HD/Blu-Ray you might lean towards Netflix, as I belive they have both but Blockbuster only has Blu-Ray.
Doctor Feelgood
Arrrrghh!

PostPosted: Mon, 26 Nov 2007 22:27:19    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

That was anothe Q. If we get a Blu-Ray player, I was wondering if either service would be of any value. Thanks.
Cleem
Rated PG-13

PostPosted: Tue, 27 Nov 2007 00:53:37    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

I've been using Netflix for about 3 years now and overall I would say that I have been happy with their service. I would give them a 92.5% overall rating.

I use the one-at-a-time plan ($8.99+tax/month), which means that I order a DVD, watch it, and they do not send me another one until it arrives in their warehouse. I have some positive experiences that I wouldn't mind sharing. Once a family member was borrowing a Netflix DVD of mine and lost it; I reported the problem to Netflix and they promptly shipped me the next one in my queue (but did record the mishap; I believe if enough marks accumulate on your account, they either suspend or terminate service). The turn around time has been either one day (ie, put the DVD in the mailbox, they receive it and ship out the next one the next day) or two days, depending on where I was shipping the DVD from. Another thing I love about Netflix is the rating system that not only gives recommendations, but also correlates to other Netflix customers, and when they write reviews you can see how alike your movie preferences are. So when someone says "I think this movie was terrible!" and they are 95% similar to you, you may want to consider picking a different film. Netflix also usually includes three movie aficionado reviews (with a quick blurb, an out-of-five rating, and a link to the full review) along with the laundry list of user reviews with the most popular reviews stickied to the top.

I wouldn't give the service a full 100% rating for the following two reasons. The first is a personal one which you may very well never encounter. I would estimate that approximately 3-5% of the DVDs I have received over the years have been significantly scratched to the point where I was unable to play them or even navigate to the root menu. It is a rare problem but seemed to occur most frequently with older, popular DVDs, at least in my experience. The second reason has to do with their policy with giving gift certificates to friends. What was not clear to me at the time, at perhaps it is my fault for my ignorance, is that once the free months have expired for the receiver of the gift, any subsequent months are charged on the gift giver's account. So I was getting charged double each month and eventually called to ask what was going on. I am just not a fan of recurring subscriptions so I would dock some points off for that. I should note however that I told them about the problem, and perhaps it was because the gift receiver did not order any DVDs outside of the free months, but they completely and promptly refunded my money.

With regard to Blu ray, well I do not own a Blu ray player, however Netflix has an entire section dedicated to Blue ray movies. I am not sure if that link will work for a guest to Netflix, but I hope it does. I tried to determine how many Blu Ray movies Netflix has, but was unsuccessful. The list does seem pretty extensive, however, with many big name movies, both new and old.

As far as in comparison to Blockbuster Online, I really can't compare them. The only thing I know about Blockbuster, which may or may not be a big selling point for you, is that I believe you can return the disks directly to a local store and pick your next one off the shelf if you would really want your next movie immediately. Good luck in your choice. Wave
Doctor Feelgood
Arrrrghh!

PostPosted: Tue, 27 Nov 2007 16:57:40    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

Wow... Thanks for all the details. That's Cleem, always helpful! Laughing
Cleem
Rated PG-13

PostPosted: Tue, 27 Nov 2007 21:14:25    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

Doctor Feelgood wrote:
Wow... Thanks for all the details. That's Cleem, always helpful! Laughing

You're welcome, I do what I can. Razz
Doctor Feelgood
Arrrrghh!

PostPosted: Tue, 27 Nov 2007 21:36:43    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

As does your namesake! Laughing Duh

I signed for the $8.99 1-at-a-time deal.

I could probably look this up, but how does the online watching work? Like, how do they meter 5 hours a month? I would think making it x movies per month would be easier. So, if I watch two 2 hour movies, can I roll the extra hour over to the next month? WTF
Little Bruin
Boo Boo

Doctor Feelgood
Arrrrghh!

PostPosted: Thu, 13 Dec 2007 14:46:12    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

I have had this a few weeks now, and really does rock. Have received 4 movies so far, on the one at a time plan for $8.99/month.

It is amazing... How does mail get to / from them in one day? I wish all my mail moved this fast. Maybe I'll start writing NetFlix on all my mail to make it a higher priority. Laughing

Anyway... If interested, give it a shot. They have a 2 week free trial, and if you sign up through this link, the site gets a little credit... LINK
Cleem
Rated PG-13

PostPosted: Fri, 14 Dec 2007 12:38:26    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

Doctor Feelgood wrote:
I have had this a few weeks now, and really does rock. Have received 4 movies so far, on the one at a time plan for $8.99/month.

It is amazing... How does mail get to / from them in one day? I wish all my mail moved this fast. Maybe I'll start writing NetFlix on all my mail to make it a higher priority. Laughing

Anyway... If interested, give it a shot. They have a 2 week free trial, and if you sign up through this link, the site gets a little credit... LINK

Great! I'm glad to hear you're enjoying their service. I presume they have been satisfactory with their Blu-ray selection too then. And I agree with the super-fast shipping, I think their secret is that they have warehouses all over the U.S. and the chances are that there is one nearby you. Go Netflix!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bigbruin.com Forum Index -> The Marketplace All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: