Forum :: Info :: :: Facebook :: Youtube :: RSS Feed
Search  :: Register :: Log in
Build or Buy
Xmas for the kids
Go To Page 1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BeerCheeze
*hick*

PostPosted: Tue, 04 Dec 2007 16:49:51    Post Subject: Build or Buy Reply with quote View Single Post

So it looks like we're probably going to get a computer for the kids (1 for all) for X-mas. I am trying to decided if I should buy a pre-built one or build it myself. Either way the price is going to be similar.

Remember... kids system, no OCing and light gaming is possible but nothing major as we have consoles for that.
Little Bruin
Boo Boo

Hellfire
Rated XXX

PostPosted: Tue, 04 Dec 2007 16:52:53    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

Really depends on how much time you want to spend on it.

WHile I hate pre-builts, they do serve a good purpose for "family" systems.

Just make sure you lock it down so they can't install stuff LOL
BeerCheeze
*hick*

PostPosted: Tue, 04 Dec 2007 17:02:35    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

Yea, either way I am looking to install either the Magic Desktop or the Hoopah desktop system. Both look great to be able to control what the kids get to do.
Doctor Feelgood
Arrrrghh!

PostPosted: Tue, 04 Dec 2007 17:14:02    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

Buy it. Just too cheap and easy these days. And since they aren't so proprietary inside any more, you could always upgrade pieces that might need it one day.

Let me know how those control apps go... I am getting to the point where we need something like that on the Lil' Ladies computer.
Jynxx
Rated R

PostPosted: Tue, 04 Dec 2007 17:41:13    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

I built my daughter's PC out of spare parts.
P4 3.0ghz
768mb DDR2 533mhz ram
40 gig IDE
17" CRT

I agree that if you are planning on spending somewhere $500 or below you should probably get a pre-built one. You can get a good Core Duo system for $399 these days, WITH a monitor.
Hellfire
Rated XXX

PostPosted: Tue, 04 Dec 2007 18:31:40    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

Doctor Feelgood wrote:
Buy it. Just too cheap and easy these days. And since they aren't so proprietary inside any more, you could always upgrade pieces that might need it one day.

That's what a buddy of mine at work did. Replaced his 8 year old computer with a new one. Over this year, he's been gradually replacing the parts so he almost has a totally new one.

I think the only parts left out of the one he bought is the MB and Processor. The rest of hte parts are new, so when he buys a new MB/Proc for him, he'll have a "new" computer and one for the kids Grin
Dud3!
Forum abandoner

PostPosted: Tue, 04 Dec 2007 18:35:45    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

If you don't have most of the parts to build a fast enough system already, just buy one of those $300-$400 e-machines (or other brand) that comes with a monitor. I would never say this for anything other than kids or web surfers, but like Doctor Feelgood said, they're just so cheap now!
Little Bruin
Boo Boo

BeerCheeze
*hick*

PostPosted: Tue, 04 Dec 2007 18:49:41    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

The problem with most of the really cheap ones is they lack memory (like they have 512MB with Vista installed) has been one of my major problems. Also... most are sold out by now or will not be delivered until after x-mas (ooo what a difference a week makes).

But I found this at: Best Buy that seems to be a pretty good deal. I can't bulid a system cheaper with comparable spec's. It would be right around the same price to be honest.

Something like that should last them 2 - 3 years easy enough.
hatpin7
Rated PG-13

PostPosted: Tue, 04 Dec 2007 19:21:26    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

That computer looks pretty decent for kids, i have friends with there own pc's with way lower specs and there fine with it.

Although if your kids get into pc games your guna have a little trouble with that 6 series card.

CORSAIR 1 GB XMS RAM
MAXTOR DIAMOND MAX 9 120 GB MASTER
ULTRA X-FINITY 600W PSU
DIAMONd XT SOUND 5.1
CORSAIR NAUTILUS 500 WATER COOLING
BeerCheeze
*hick*

PostPosted: Tue, 04 Dec 2007 19:23:21    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

hatpin7 wrote:
That computer looks pretty decent for kids, i have friends with there own pc's with way lower specs and there fine with it.

Although if your kids get into pc games your guna have a little trouble with that 6 series card.

Yea, the video card is easy enough to upgrade.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bigbruin.com Forum Index -> Hardware All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Go To Page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: