Bigbruin.com
Home :: Reviews & Articles ::
Forum :: Info :: :: Facebook :: Youtube :: RSS Feed
Search  :: Register :: Log in
Best HSF for E6400
Go To Page 1, 2  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bigbruin.com Forum Index -> Overclocking, Cooling, and Modding
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dr_Pentium
Rated R

PostPosted: Fri, 10 Aug 2007 23:42:54    Post Subject: Best HSF for E6400 Reply with quote View Single Post

Hey Wave

I like to drop in once in a blue moon lol (hi big bruin, how you been?)

So i've had my C2D system for a good 6-7 months now, just picked up some ocz reaper memory,and figured i might as well try an overclock. Issue is I'm still running the stock cooler. I'm already in the mid 50's Celsius range on load with the stock so didn't want to try and oc with this cooler.

Which cooler do you guys recommend as "the best", we are talking straight air cooling here no water.

I've heard differing opinions on the

Thermalright U 120
Tuniq Tower
Scthye Infinity
Thermaltake Big Typhoon Vx

any help is good help thanks!

Little Bruin
Boo Boo

Modulok
Rated XXX

PostPosted: Sat, 11 Aug 2007 00:08:50    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

Tuniq Tower has been in the top three for as long I can recall. Problem is that it is very tall and you need a good size case to clear the top of the heatsink. what case do you have? maybe measure from the chip to the side to see what would fit.

fyi, the CPUs can safely handle 65c...but you are like me and like to keep it around 50-55 Smile
Dr_Pentium
Rated R

PostPosted: Sat, 11 Aug 2007 00:39:25    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

I've got a thermaltake tsunami case, mid tower, it has a side 80mm fan in the side panel, thats probably the only thing that may get in the way, i dont have an issue removing it though.

the only other concern i have is with allthese big heatpipe coolers is my memory going to cause an issue, i have ocz reaper memory which has its own damn heat pipes I have an Asus P5W DH
im pretty sure there wont be a problem.

so i've got one vote for the tuniq tower any others?

acruxksa
Doh!

PostPosted: Sat, 11 Aug 2007 05:12:32    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

To be honest, I think anyone of the 4 you have listed would be a huge improvement over stock. I'm kind of partial to the Tuniq Tower 120 though because I've been using one for the past month (thx again bb) and it is a great cooler. As Modulok says though, it is quite large. I'm not sure how the memory coolers will work with it. If the p5w layout is similar to the p5k, it looks like the Tuniq Tower MIGHT work with the memory coolers if the memory is in the black slots (at least they are black on the p5k)

If it looks like it's tight though, any of the other 3 would be great choice if they fit.

Arrrrghh!

PostPosted: Sat, 11 Aug 2007 18:52:43    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

Having used most of them, I'd say you can't go wrong with any of your choices... But, my favorite is probably the Tuniq Tower 120.

The chart at the bottom of this page shows several coolers, including some you are interested in, all tested on a D840.

http://www.bigbruin.com/2006/scytheinfinity_6
Dr_Pentium
Rated R

PostPosted: Sat, 11 Aug 2007 21:15:02    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

Hey Doc, thanks. I was browsing the site last night, and realized you had reviewed practically each one lol.. so i did my reading after posting (oops) some good reviews you got up..

Based on what all of you have said so far, and the results i saw from your reviews doc, im leaning towards the tuniq tower as well.. they are pretty much the same price anyways..

acruxksa the board layout of the P5K and my P5W seem exactly the same, except i put my mem sticks in the orange/yellow slots as they are dimm1 chk the attachment

The only issue i am having is that finding the tuniq tower locally in Toronto is proving to be a pain in the a$$.

With buffalo only 2 hours away from me, im tempted to cross over and find a store that carries it lol (probably save a bit of money too)

all hail the canadian dollar King (or not )

acruxksa
Doh!

PostPosted: Mon, 13 Aug 2007 01:37:45    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

I just swapped to an Asus P5K-Premium and installed a couple Thermalright HR-07 Memory Module Heatsinks. (another thx to BB Smile ) They fit just fine with my Tuniq Tower 120, but I am using the black slots at the moment. There is plenty of room to use the other slots though should I feel the need to give it a shot. I can't imagine there are too many memory heatsinks that are bigger than the HR-07's so you should have plenty of room.

When I get a chance, I'll snap a pic and post it.

**edit** I just scoped it out and I have about an inch of space (maybe slightly more) between the memory cooler and the tuniq. In the yellow slots I would have around 1/2" which really wouldn't be that bad because the tunuq's fan would help draw air through the memory cooler. The P5W looks to have a slightly different layout that puts the memory higher up in the board ( not really a problem) and slightly closer to the cpu socket. It's closer, but it still appears that you should have plenty of room.

Boo Boo

acruxksa
Doh!

PostPosted: Mon, 13 Aug 2007 02:03:54    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

Here's a pic of the coolers before installation and after installation. Hope it helps.

Rated R

PostPosted: Wed, 15 Aug 2007 11:42:59    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

Thanks acruxksa! That pic does help alot,
Just waiting for the tower int he mail now, should be here in a few more days Grin

Dr_Pentium
Rated R

PostPosted: Sat, 18 Aug 2007 14:05:43    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

Alrite, I got the cooler in the mail yesterday, spent a few hours ripping the pc apart, and re assembling..

All i can say is what a b*** to install.. on the Asus P5W DH and a Thermaltake Tsunami case,

I had to remove the psu to get the last motherboard screw in, and you cant screw down the last thumbnal without psu removal, the extra P4 power connector (12v?) ends up in a unaccesable corner for which you need pliers to plug it in (using my setup)

My question is does it matter which way i orient the heatsink? fins pointing left or right.. i have my fan blowing air towards the back of my case, as there is another 120mm fan behind the hsf fan to continue sucking the warm air out.

Also had to remove my side panel 80mm fan...

The led's in the tuniq fan are almost non existant if your case is already lit up with cc's and led fans.

havent had a chance to o/c yet will do whe i get home from work..

aside from all that, i love the cooler Grin one of the best things i bought!

oh yes another issue the control knob had to be taken off as it would now stay on due to the way the cases slots are built. Bang Head

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bigbruin.com Forum Index -> Overclocking, Cooling, and Modding All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Go To Page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: