Bigbruin.com
Home :: Reviews & Articles ::
Forum :: Info :: :: Facebook :: Youtube :: RSS Feed
Search  :: Register :: Log in
System is dead. Please Help
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dwalden
Rated PG-13

PostPosted: Mon, 16 Apr 2007 11:35:04    Post Subject: System is dead. Please Help Reply with quote View Single Post

I built a new machine last year:

CPU: AMD Athlon 64 X2 4400+
MOBO: ASUS A8N32-SLI Deluxe
RAM: OCZ Platinum 2GB DDR SDRAM DDR 400 (PC 3200)
GFX: EVGA GeForce 7900GT 256MB Signature Series
PSU: ENERMAX Liberty ELT500AWT 500W
CASE: Antec P180B

One night I shut it down and everything was working just fine. The next day, I press the power button and NOTHING. Just completely dead. When I looked in the case, the LED on the MOBO was still on. I went to see if it was just the power switch so I jumped the two pins on the MOBO and still nothing. So I take the whole PSU out and jump it with a paperclip and it starts up just fine.

So, any ideas? I'm thinking is almost has to be the MOBO or CPU.

FYI - There was no storms or power surges to my knowledge the night this happened.[B]

Corsair 1GB PC4000 DDR RAM
36GB WD Raptor SATA 150
200GB WD Caviar SATA 150
Sound Blaster X-Fi Xtrememusic
Antec P180B Case
Enermax Liberty 500W PSU
Little Bruin
Boo Boo

Blue|Fusion
Rated XXX

PostPosted: Mon, 16 Apr 2007 11:48:11    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

This happens to me every once in a while, except when it happens to me the system is on and running fine, then just powers off all of a sudden. Pressing power button does nothing. Mobo LED is on. I just switch the power on the PSU off, switch it back on after a few seconds, give it a moment, press the main power button, and off we go again.
dadx2mj
Happy Camper

PostPosted: Mon, 16 Apr 2007 13:12:10    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

My first guess would be mobo followed by CPU. I would try clearing the CMOS and reseating everything such as the CPU, ram, and video card before I changed out the mobo though
dwalden
Rated PG-13

PostPosted: Mon, 16 Apr 2007 13:19:33    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

dadx2mj wrote:
My first guess would be mobo followed by CPU. I would try clearing the CMOS and reseating everything such as the CPU, ram, and video card before I changed out the mobo though

You mean with the jumper? Will that work since it's 100% dead and won't power on?

36GB WD Raptor SATA 150
200GB WD Caviar SATA 150
Antec P180B Case
Enermax Liberty 500W PSU
dadx2mj
Happy Camper

PostPosted: Mon, 16 Apr 2007 13:31:03    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

Quote:

You mean with the jumper? Will that work since it's 100% dead and won't power on?

Yes with the jumper, look at your manual some mobo require you pull the battery as well. No guarantee it will work but it cant hurt and is worth a shot anyway
T-shirt
Rated XXX

PostPosted: Mon, 16 Apr 2007 18:20:27    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

I'd be looking very carfully for a short ( dust buuny, loose wire,, that lost screww, etc)
It sounds like the PSU CB cut out due to some sort of overload (it resets when switch off/unplug the PSU) so that now works.
take everything out of the case, then replace the MB (check it over for burn marks, etc) and the PSU, try to start, if fan spins briefly add the CPU and fan, and so on.
if PSU and MB does nothing, MB is likely dead and it's time to RMA,replace or upgrade.
LaTech
Ruthless TechTator

PostPosted: Mon, 16 Apr 2007 22:51:48    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

Unplug the power supply from the wall, press the power button and then plug it back in and try again.
Little Bruin
Boo Boo

dwalden
Rated PG-13

PostPosted: Tue, 17 Apr 2007 17:33:48    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

Ok, I tried all that again and still nothing. Now the mobo is on it's way for a warranty exchange. If this doesn't fix it, I'm gonna cry.
36GB WD Raptor SATA 150
200GB WD Caviar SATA 150
Antec P180B Case
Enermax Liberty 500W PSU
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bigbruin.com Forum Index -> Hardware All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: