Bigbruin.com
Home :: Reviews & Articles ::
Forum :: Info :: :: Facebook :: Youtube :: RSS Feed
Search  :: Register :: Log in
Damn Lightning
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Doctor Feelgood
Arrrrghh!

PostPosted: Wed, 04 Oct 2006 23:05:32    Post Subject: Damn Lightning Reply with quote View Single Post

Huge crash of thunder came a few minutes ago at the same time as the lightning... Scared the hell out of me as it has been kinda quiet. Sounded like it broke my office window, and the light went out. Yeah, just one light, while the computer and the rest of the house stayed on.

Fire department just showed up, too. Guess it hit a tree in front and set it on fire briefly.

Now to figure out what the hell happened to this light. Breaker is fine, and everything else on the circuit is too. Of course I happen to be in the basementm, with one light on, and it goes out. Good thing I have a bright LCD screen! Laughing
Little Bruin
Boo Boo

Spire
Hall Pass B!tch!!!

PostPosted: Wed, 04 Oct 2006 23:09:58    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

I am going to hate myself for posting this, but is the bulb burned out???
Doctor Feelgood
Arrrrghh!

PostPosted: Wed, 04 Oct 2006 23:12:22    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

Laughing

Good question. It is a fluorescent thing with two circular bulbs, one with like a 10" diameter and the other with a 6" diameter nested inside.

I don't have spares, but they look ok (no black spots that usually indicate death). Ballast was kinda hot for a few minutes, though.
T-shirt
Rated XXX

PostPosted: Thu, 05 Oct 2006 11:24:15    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

If it's got an "electronic" Ballast (most newer fluorescent and compact fluorescent bulbs) it's toast. bulbs are probably fine, , but the electronics do not play well with surges.
Speaking of which you may want to check any surge bars and UPS's in the house, maybe even replace any cheap surge bars, most of them are really only good for one big hit.
bthe
Rated PG

PostPosted: Wed, 11 Oct 2006 06:34:05    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

Urgh. Its been thundering and lightening all morning. I was warned by my mum on the way out the door to " Stay away from trees!!". I didnt feel so safe when I realised I have Law in one of the port-a-cabins! Thankfully I survivied. The rain is pooring down in England, I think Im going to have to dig out my Ark.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bigbruin.com Forum Index -> The Den All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: