Bigbruin.com
Home :: Reviews & Articles ::
Forum :: Info :: :: Facebook :: Youtube :: RSS Feed
Search  :: Register :: Log in
Hard drives...
View previous topic :: View next topic  
knight0334
Rated XXX

PostPosted: Mon, 21 Aug 2006 11:55:12    Post Subject: Hard drives... Reply with quote View Single Post

I'm really out of the loop on hardware.. I haven't purchased a desktop part in over 2 years. So, I need you guy's input.

What's the fastest AND most reliable SATA-II HDD out on the market? I dont need or even want a massive drive. The 160GB PATA drive I have now is only 60% used.

I'd like to go RAID-0 again.. A couple(2x, or 4x) smaller fast drives for the OS and games, with my 160gb drive for storage.

I wanna hold out for the AMD 4x4 systems later this year, but I'm itching to have a beefy machine now.. But I think I'm gonna settle for an SLI AMD X2 AM2 system.

I'd like to go Quad SLI with the 7950 cards, but I might just get one card now and wait a few months til prices come down then pickup another.
Little Bruin
Boo Boo

Doctor Feelgood
Arrrrghh!

PostPosted: Mon, 21 Aug 2006 11:59:59    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

I think the Western Digital Raptor X may be the fastest... But I really like Seagate, and especially their 7200.10 line of perpendicular recording SATA 3 Gbps, 16MB cache drives. Some are really cheap, too! You could have a blazing fast RAID 0 array with two of those things! Low $80's for a 250GB version!
Blue|Fusion
Rated XXX

PostPosted: Mon, 21 Aug 2006 12:02:17    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

Seagate. I have 3x 160GB 7200.9 (8MB cache) series in my desktop and they work great.
mrweasel
I can haz cheezbrgr?

PostPosted: Mon, 21 Aug 2006 13:18:20    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

The Raptor 74GBs aren't overly expensive, but they're only SATA-I

The Seagate BB mentioned kick a$$.

*hick*

PostPosted: Mon, 21 Aug 2006 15:44:37    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

+1 for Seagate. The only drives I buy anymore.
FOX
I <3 Quail

PostPosted: Mon, 21 Aug 2006 18:05:03    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

seagate is the best in my mind

http://www.facebook.com/DjFOXDnB
My site where I have my latest mixes! www.DjSourceInfo.com
Spire
Hall Pass B!tch!!!

PostPosted: Mon, 21 Aug 2006 18:07:21    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

I wouldn't even consider any drives besides Seagate perpendiculars right now.

320GB drives are under $100 too.
Little Bruin
Boo Boo

mrweasel
I can haz cheezbrgr?

PostPosted: Mon, 21 Aug 2006 19:47:17    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

link?

I'm too lazy

Arrrrghh!

PostPosted: Mon, 21 Aug 2006 19:48:35    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

There you go L.A.Z.
DragonMaster
Rated NC-17

PostPosted: Wed, 30 Aug 2006 11:42:10    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

I never got a Seagate except a 400MB one, but I think I'll go with 2x 320GB perpendicular on my X2 4400 system to replace my "temporary" 8.4GB Quantum HDD. There's no real reason why I want to get 640GB, except that the 320GBs are the cheapest per gigabyte. (I want more for the money Wink )

I've heard that there's a big difference between the same model HDDs, depending if they come from Singapore or China. IIRC, the ones from china/taiwan are told to be more silent. I'll have to Google a bit.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bigbruin.com Forum Index -> Hardware All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: