Home :: Reviews & Articles ::
Forum :: Info :: :: Facebook :: Youtube :: RSS Feed
Search  :: Register :: Log in
Hijacking a Macbook in 60 Seconds or Less
Go To Page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BeerCheeze
*hick*

PostPosted: Thu, 03 Aug 2006 08:48:52    Post Subject: Hijacking a Macbook in 60 Seconds or Less Reply with quote View Single Post

Quote:
the presenters said they ultimately decided to run the demo against a Mac due to what Maynor called the "Mac user base aura of smugness on security."

http://blog.washingtonpost.com/securityfix/2006/08/hijacking_a_macbook_in_60_seco_1.html
Little Bruin
Boo Boo

Doctor Feelgood
Arrrrghh!

PostPosted: Thu, 03 Aug 2006 08:53:34    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

Haha!

And I do agree with this from the article, too...

Quote:
if you watch those 'Get a Mac' commercials enough, it eventually makes you want to stab one of those users in the eye with a lit cigarette or something
mrweasel
I can haz cheezbrgr?

PostPosted: Thu, 03 Aug 2006 09:27:11    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

I call Bullsh!t

anytime they do a "video" demo as opposed to a liv e demo, you know something's up. Besides anyone can configure a mchine to be hackable to prove their point.

*hick*

PostPosted: Thu, 03 Aug 2006 10:22:42    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

Laughing Yea... Keep thinking that. These guys did this at Blackhat. It has been confirmed.

Matter of fact one of the guys I work with was there.
mrweasel
I can haz cheezbrgr?

PostPosted: Thu, 03 Aug 2006 11:45:42    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

I bet that is patched today....and besides, they found the same holes in Windows boxes, but they just wanna pick on us Mad

That's okay, we'll get even!

Doh!

PostPosted: Thu, 03 Aug 2006 13:34:57    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

mrweasel wrote:
I bet that is patched today....and besides, they found the same holes in Windows boxes, but they just wanna pick on us Mad

That's okay, we'll get even!

My how far they have fallen. Now it's ok to be the same as windows. SmileSmile Just poking fun weezy, not really a Mac hater, just proof that any OS can be hacked given the right tools, time and motivation.

Arrrrghh!

PostPosted: Thu, 03 Aug 2006 13:38:09    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

Little Bruin
Boo Boo

Hellfire
Rated XXX

PostPosted: Thu, 03 Aug 2006 14:09:01    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

I love this comment from today's update (assuming it's accurate):
...that over 200 vulnerabilities have been discovered for OS X in the past two years while fewer than a hundred have been discovered for XP in that time. The XP vulnerabilities have been successfully exploited while those for OS X have not.

It's obvious why the Xp exploits are used, and not the OS X ones have not...why would somebody want to work on an exploit for 10-15% of the machines, when they could do it for 70% of the computers Razz
thePMG
Rated XXX

PostPosted: Wed, 09 Aug 2006 21:25:03    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

Hellfire wrote:

It's obvious why the Xp exploits are used, and not the OS X ones have not...why would somebody want to work on an exploit for 10-15% of the machines, when they could do it for 70% of the computers Razz

Maybe for the fame of it. It hasn't happened yet. I keep hearing this and that, but no real concrete evidence.
I call BS on the video too, why would they just show a video and no real proof? I mean, this is huge...

P.S. MrWeasel, your not the only mac fanboy here, I'm currently on my 4th mac in the house.

BeerCheeze
*hick*

PostPosted: Wed, 09 Aug 2006 22:12:16    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

Sorry guys... I was there at Defcon. This is real. Call BS all you want and stick your head into the sand and pretend it doesn't exist. But it does.

It actually has NOTHING to do with the Mac, or Windows. It's a driver issue. The way drivers interact with the system is they have Ring 0 level access (kernel mode).

Why a video? Simple... they asked the question in the audience.. "How many people right now have a scanner running?" There was a murmured laugh, and a hand or two raised (trust me more should have). And THAT is why they did it on video, it's because if they would have done it live, the exploit would have already been in the wild.

The people that we're showing this were legit security people. Also trust me... you don't pull the BS at that level that is required at Blackhat and/or Defcon. You WILL get called on it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bigbruin.com Forum Index -> Software All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Go To Page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: