Home :: Reviews & Articles ::
Forum :: Info :: :: Facebook :: Youtube :: RSS Feed
Search  :: Register :: Log in
NAS
Go To Page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
martz
Rated R

PostPosted: Sat, 05 Aug 2006 15:19:05    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

there is a linux distro called "FreeNAS" which might be of interest to you. From what i can remember it's pretty good and isn't a big fat mama like most desktop derived solutions. I think it occupies 32mb and will go on a flash drive.

Get it here : http://www.freenas.org/

Of course, if you do want a full blooded file server, then i suggest you try SME Server. It is just the dog's doo-dahs. File / Print / HTTP / Mail / SQL / Proxy / AV / Spam / PDC / FTP ....... and you can hook in extended functionality with a couple of rpm's.

I run it on an HP E-Vectra P3-866 which is only slightly larger than a micro-itx system.

Get it here : http://www.contribs.org

m
Little Bruin
Boo Boo

Doctor Feelgood
Arrrrghh!

PostPosted: Sat, 05 Aug 2006 16:03:56    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

Free NAS site seems to be having problems... Bang Head

Thanks!
FireTech
Rated PG-13

PostPosted: Sat, 05 Aug 2006 17:07:34    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

I like Clark Connect Home. It's 3.2 at the moment and heading to version 4 shortly. Very easy to install and set up.
I'm also going to give Ubuntu 6.0.6 LTS Server a go too in the near future.
martz
Rated R

PostPosted: Sun, 06 Aug 2006 03:52:58    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

BB.... the FreeNAS site appears to be working now.

FireTech ..... yup, seen it before. I think Clark Connect and SME Server pretty much grew from the same Mitel Networks project.

It looks nice .... perhaps i'll fire it up in a VM and compare it with the SME Server. I would imagine the functionality is much the same ..... i just have SME tweaked to perfection Smile

Is Clark Connect still based around Redhat or have they moved to CentOS yet ?
Doctor Feelgood
Arrrrghh!

PostPosted: Sun, 06 Aug 2006 08:24:24    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

home page works, but as soon as I click anything else I get database errors... even if I try to go back to the home page... Laughing
martz
Rated R

PostPosted: Tue, 08 Aug 2006 08:10:39    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

the site seems to be functional again ..... i guess they were just having a bad mysql day!
knight0334
Rated XXX

PostPosted: Tue, 08 Aug 2006 08:29:07    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

that Clark Connect, anyone try it yet??

I'm thinking about trying it out..
Little Bruin
Boo Boo

martz
Rated R

PostPosted: Tue, 08 Aug 2006 10:01:01    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

having a look at it now, but my initial reaction is that SME Server has more to it, and might be more intuitive to operate.

i'll get back to you Grin

m
martz
Rated R

PostPosted: Tue, 08 Aug 2006 10:39:54    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

hmmm..... i had a quick scoot around the web admin console.

i think if you want something that'll run straight out of the box, yet have serious capacity and flexibility, then SME Server is the way to go.

Dont get me wrong, Clarke Connect looks good .... very good in fact, but there's stuff thats missing, and it looks like theres a fair bit of fiddling to be done in the web admin control panel to get it running just the way you want it. A lot of services are off by default, and i could see this confusing the hell out of the un-initiated. Also the fact that the default admin login is root made my teeth itch.

I noticed the apache server seemed quite slow when directly compared to SME Server. Both OS's were run under VMWare Server on a 2.6GHz P4 with a gig of ram, and were configured with identical VM hardware.

I could probably produce a pros / cons list as long as your arm with a couple of weeks of playing, but this is just my initial impression.
martz
Rated R

PostPosted: Tue, 08 Aug 2006 11:15:31    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

i spent most of my afternoon at work (bad me Laughing ) having a look around clarke connect and you know what ..... i actually do like it. it's definitely aimed more at the home / soho market than SME server is, and it's less scalable but i do like the friendly interface. Anybody got any idea when the new version is due to be released ?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bigbruin.com Forum Index -> Hardware All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Go To Page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: