22%
 22%  [ 2 ]
I'll wait until it becomes final :)
44%
 44%  [ 4 ]
Total Votes : 9

knight0334
Rated XXX

PostPosted: Sat, 10 Jun 2006 23:08:18    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

From my observations... you damn near gotta have SMP and 2+ gigs of RAM to have the same performance you were used to with XP Pro.

The machines I tested it on felt like I was walking in water. Too much crap running with it.

On my XP machines, I have them trimmed down to 80-100MB of RAM used with no appz running other then background driver support and AVG Free.
Little Bruin
Boo Boo

Doctor Feelgood
Arrrrghh!

PostPosted: Sat, 10 Jun 2006 23:37:42    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

Yeah - their published minimum specs may 'work' but you will be screaming at your screen the whol time!!!

Here is the published data on requirements:

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsvista/getready/capable.mspx

I wouldn't think the base 800 MHz CPU or the recommended 1GHz CPU would be too much fun at all, and would do as knight said and throw at least 2GB of memory at it.

I have seen all their fancy crap they have loaded in, and I really don't know who needs/wants it. Give me speed and simplicity!
Big B
Rated NC-17

PostPosted: Sun, 11 Jun 2006 00:49:49    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

Ok, so it sounds like i will being staying with xp for awhile.

Anyway may i ask what does this mean?

"A graphics processor that runs Windows Aero"

What is windows aero?

I agree big bruin, my uncle pc is only a 1.9 ghz or so and its not that fast running xp he only has 512 of ram and the pc does not run good with xp

so i do agree i dont see how they claim that a 1.0Ghz can run vista
Modulok
Rated XXX

PostPosted: Sun, 11 Jun 2006 11:19:13    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

Big B wrote:
I agree big bruin, my uncle pc is only a 1.9 ghz or so and its not that fast running xp he only has 512 of ram and the pc does not run good with xp

so i do agree i dont see how they claim that a 1.0Ghz can run vista

1.9ghz and 512mb should run xp just fine. we have pcs at work that run xp ok with 500mhz and 320mb. He probably has some unnecessary stuff installed and running all the time.
Blue|Fusion
Rated XXX

PostPosted: Sun, 11 Jun 2006 21:26:23    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

Big B wrote:
What is windows aero?

The graphical processing software GUI stuff used in Vista to run all the 3-D effects.

As BB said, I think Vista is putting far too much stress in the hardware and to do simple tasks. Rediculous, IMHO. I don't agree with the "speed and simplicity," however. I like speed, but I also like a desktop that looks good and works better. Another reason for me to stick to Linux - running 3-D composite and XRendering in KDE 3.5 with zero [noticeable] performance decreases. Even runs (although it's back to that whole screaming at the monitor thing) on the old Pentium II 350MHz with 192MB RAM.
monkeysauce
Rated PG

PostPosted: Mon, 12 Jun 2006 21:00:06    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

Looks cool, but where are we supposed to get the registration code? I'd prefer to get more than 14 days to test it. With a little time I might actually load some programs
________
Yamaha TT250

Last edited by monkeysauce on Thu, 03 Feb 2011 06:55:40; edited 1 time in total
BeerCheeze
*hick*

PostPosted: Mon, 12 Jun 2006 21:33:53    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

I haven't tested it yet. Maybe one of these days I'll have time to download and test it out. All the AMD x64 CPU's should run better on it than on XP 32 (or 64).
Little Bruin
Boo Boo

acruxksa
Doh!

PostPosted: Thu, 29 Jun 2006 15:45:30    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

I'm using it on my laptop right now and it's pretty smooth. I like it, not sure if I like it enough to pay what they want for it, but it does seem like a huge improvement on XP. I still think Linux w/ Compiz/XGL has more potential, but Vista has come a long way since the last time I tried it (over a year ago)

Vista Beta 2 seemed to find everything on my Dell e1505 with out any trouble. I did have to run automatic update so it could update the drivers for my SDcard slot, but other than that everything is running pretty well.

Rated XXX

PostPosted: Tue, 04 Jul 2006 14:48:01    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

It wouldn't load on my Macbook Pro. Sad
mrweasel
I can haz cheezbrgr?

PostPosted: Wed, 05 Jul 2006 09:14:11    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

sure it will

Install Parallels, install XP, run upgrade for Vista. Works on my MacBook Grin

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bigbruin.com Forum Index -> Software All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Go To Page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: