Bigbruin.com
Home :: Reviews & Articles ::
Forum :: Info :: :: Facebook :: Youtube :: RSS Feed
Search  :: Register :: Log in
Need help deciding on a new Laptop
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hydrojon
Rated PG

PostPosted: Wed, 31 May 2006 19:33:55    Post Subject: Need help deciding on a new Laptop Reply with quote View Single Post

I am brand new but I was looking around and found this site and I was hoping you folks could give me some insight into what i am looking for.

So here's the deal. I want a new laptop 14" or 15" screen. I am a college student but do enjoy certain games on the pc (very few at this point ( sims 2 once and awhile).

So I need an all around laptop that I can use and enjoy. I have been looking at the Dell's and Toshiba those being two companies I ahve had good success with. I am lookign for suggestions that would fit my needs

The dell E1505 I think will do the job quite well for me I just had one question on that particular model. The graphics card I would get The 256MB ATI MOBILITY™ RADEON® X1400 HyperMemory would that give me enough graphics power to run a game like the sims 2 or such?
Little Bruin
Boo Boo

SAMSAMHA
Rated NC-17

PostPosted: Wed, 31 May 2006 20:43:53    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

it should be okay to run sim2. It's not a great gaming gfx card, but you can't expect too much on a laptop.
Doctor Feelgood
Arrrrghh!

PostPosted: Wed, 31 May 2006 20:54:15    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

That should be fine for Sims 2... Bet it would do well on many decent games, actually.

I really like the features and price of the E1505, and have them on my mind every time Slick Deals shows them for $6-700ish.
Modulok
Rated XXX

PostPosted: Wed, 31 May 2006 20:56:01    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

Give a check to IBM/Lenovo Thinkpad laptops...we are getting one to see if we will move from Dell's lineup of middlegrade laptops.

If you wait a few weeks I will let you know how it is. FYI, we are looking into the T60 Series with core duo 2.0mhz, 1gb, radeon x1400, 80gb, intel wireless, etc. (about $2000)
BeerCheeze
*hick*

PostPosted: Wed, 31 May 2006 21:15:42    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

I said it before...

Check out the Acer's. A buddy JUST got one. He loves it! I think he got the one with the x1600 video card, but he says it runs Quake 4.

For that same $2k as the T60 above you get:

CPU Type Intel Core Duo T2500(2.0GHz)
Screen 15.4" SWXGA+
Memory Size 2GB DDR2
Hard Disk 120GB
Optical Drive DVD Super Multi
Graphics Card ATI Radeon X1600
Video Memory 256MB DDR
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16834115226
Modulok
Rated XXX

PostPosted: Wed, 31 May 2006 22:16:10    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

That Acer does look nice, but it does not have any port rep like we need and have even with our dells. My mananger also hates Acer with a passion, before he took over the IT dept we had about 40 Acer desktops, we have one left that hasnt had a hardware failure, yet.

I started a Laptop Poll to see what brands are used around the office.
BeerCheeze
*hick*

PostPosted: Wed, 31 May 2006 22:52:58    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

Modulok wrote:
That Acer does look nice, but it does not have any port rep like we need and have even with our dells. My mananger also hates Acer with a passion, before he took over the IT dept we had about 40 Acer desktops, we have one left that hasnt had a hardware failure, yet.

I started a Laptop Poll to see what brands are used around the office.

It's not a work laptop for sure, it's a home laptop.
Little Bruin
Boo Boo

xtreme571
Rated PG

PostPosted: Wed, 31 May 2006 22:55:55    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

I have Acer (laptop) myself, and i've had it for 2 years now. No hardware defects/failures. To be honest, I've never had ANY trouble with this laptop. My cousin has toshiba, he has problems when using network card (WiFi, 802.11b/g), and one of my buddies has HP, and he also gets lot of wireless connection problems.

Plus ACER does not come with lots of junkware installed (u kno all that crap that starts in systray).

Plus, In my Experience, i found it easier to do a clean windows install on acer than any other system.

Just my .02
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bigbruin.com Forum Index -> Hardware All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: