Bigbruin.com
Home :: Reviews & Articles ::
Forum :: Info :: :: Facebook :: Youtube :: RSS Feed
Search  :: Register :: Log in
Need a quiet fan
Go To Page 1, 2  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bigbruin.com Forum Index -> Overclocking, Cooling, and Modding
View previous topic :: View next topic  
IceNine
*The Freshest*

PostPosted: Mon, 25 Apr 2005 13:36:15    Post Subject: Need a quiet fan Reply with quote View Single Post

Looking for a really quiet 90/120mm case fan. Recommendations? Or is there a dB level I should be watching for? Wave

A letter to a soldier
Little Bruin
Boo Boo

dadx2mj
Happy Camper

PostPosted: Mon, 25 Apr 2005 13:52:24    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

I take a different approach. I buy the biggest fastest fan I can find and then use a fan controller to tame it down. Gives me flexibility and extra cooling on hot summer days but a nice quiet case when I want one and it is not too hot.
IceNine
*The Freshest*

PostPosted: Mon, 25 Apr 2005 13:59:05    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

Thing is I don't OC, and my CPU runs fairly cool. Plus I don't want to have to pay for a fan controller Smile

Not a bad idea though.

A letter to a soldier
LaTech
Ruthless TechTator

PostPosted: Mon, 25 Apr 2005 14:56:44    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

Don't want to pay for one? Build one! Can't be that hard!
HackaX0rus
Rated XXX

PostPosted: Mon, 25 Apr 2005 15:04:24    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

bah...just look at the specs on a website such as SVC.com...and compare sizes and Db to find what you want.
dvlk80
Rated PG

PostPosted: Wed, 24 May 2006 15:39:39    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

i'm using the 2 SilenX 120mm fans now,.it very quite and performs very well,..Smile but it kind of expensive,..Smile
Rig 1: AMD 64 X2 3800+ @ 2.55Ghz w/ Swiftech Water Cool | Asus A8N32-SLI Deluxe/XP Pro SP2 | Enermax EG701AX 600W Power Supply | 2 X BFG GeForce 7900GTX PCI-e @ 690/1750 (both Water Cool by Swiftech) | Creative X-Fi Fatal1ty FPS | Klipsch THX 5.1 Speakers | 2 X 1024MB Corsair DDR PC3500LL PRO @ 550Mhz | WD Raptor 150 GB and Seagate SATA 300 GB | DVD-RW PX-760A X 2 | Thermaltake Armor Black Case
Enigmachine
Rated NC-17

PostPosted: Wed, 24 May 2006 20:08:24    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

You could go look at the Silent PC review website, they have some good guidelines. They have some fan reviews too but the 120 mm recommended list is far from complete.

In general the most effective approach really is to take the biggest fan available and undervolt it so it doesn't run at full speed. If you don't want to buy a fan controller, you can probably find some fans with controllers built in, like some Zalman fans come with fanmates.

They probably aren't really much more expensive than any other fan.
Little Bruin
Boo Boo

Spire
Hall Pass B!tch!!!

PostPosted: Wed, 24 May 2006 21:02:10    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

For just a second I thought IceNine was back.

Giant thread resurrection!!!
Doctor Feelgood
Arrrrghh!

PostPosted: Wed, 24 May 2006 21:26:33    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

I did too... Even funnier, I was reading a tutorial on php.net and saw a comment from him today too. Well, I saw it today, but the comment was like 2 years old. Laughing
Bitpower
Rated PG

PostPosted: Sat, 27 May 2006 17:01:21    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

dadx2mj wrote:
I take a different approach. I buy the biggest fastest fan I can find and then use a fan controller to tame it down. Gives me flexibility and extra cooling on hot summer days but a nice quiet case when I want one and it is not too hot.

Costs a lot to use that approach, since you not only need to buy a fan, but then a fan controller too.

Cheaper to just buy a low DB fan. Many fans out there, that are especially design to be low noise.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bigbruin.com Forum Index -> Overclocking, Cooling, and Modding All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Go To Page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: