Bigbruin.com
Home :: Reviews & Articles ::
Forum :: Info :: :: Facebook :: Youtube :: RSS Feed
Search  :: Register :: Log in
Adhesive
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bigbruin.com Forum Index -> Overclocking, Cooling, and Modding
View previous topic :: View next topic  
warstorm
Rated PG

PostPosted: Mon, 28 Mar 2005 12:51:44    Post Subject: Adhesive Reply with quote View Single Post

I am constructing a new front panel for my newest project, and I am trying to bond the plastic to 1/4" hardboard. I can get them to stick together, but to be solid is another matter. I thought I had it, but after I did all the bondo work a few days later, and thought I was done, I went to paint. and all the bondo had cracked along the seams where the wood and plastic met. Ideas?
Little Bruin
Boo Boo

Landincoldfire
Rated PG

PostPosted: Mon, 28 Mar 2005 14:07:20    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

I found if you want things to adhere to one another for a very long time; use epoxy. That's the stuff you have to mix and gives you a certain amount of time to work the peices together. (I perfer the the 5min kind)

If your are working with plastic filler compound. If you apply it to thick it will crack when it dries. Try a few applications of thin layers.

Hope this helped.
warstorm
Rated PG

PostPosted: Mon, 28 Mar 2005 19:26:38    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

I have tried a few different epoxy's. I am still searching for one. I am thinking of mixing a couple to see what happens. As for the bondo, I have done it in thin layers. I think it is cracking because the base material isnt solid.
Spire
Hall Pass B!tch!!!

PostPosted: Mon, 28 Mar 2005 20:28:06    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

Gorilla Glue

http://www.gorillaglue.com/gGlue.html

Bonds anything to anything
Shadowsilence
I <3 Chevrolet

PostPosted: Mon, 28 Mar 2005 21:53:37    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

Gorilla glue is awsome. But be careful because it expands as it dries. Make sure the pieces are held together tightly. There maybe be excess you need to cut off later.
stratus
Rated PG

PostPosted: Tue, 29 Mar 2005 17:45:47    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

I would definitely suggest epoxy because its extremely strong and adheres to a variety of materials.
PRpaTi
Rated R

PostPosted: Tue, 29 Mar 2005 20:49:15    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

Spire wrote:
Gorilla Glue

http://www.gorillaglue.com/gGlue.html

Bonds anything to anything

LOL... funny website Laughing
Little Bruin
Boo Boo

Loviotor
Rated PG

PostPosted: Wed, 30 Mar 2005 17:27:36    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

I would have to agree about the 5-minute epoxy method... It works well for radio-controlled aircraft (balsa, plastic and metal, all needing to adhere to each other).. Also Elmer's Probond (polyurethane ultimate glue) works well, and can be found at most hardware stores or wal-mart/k-mart/etc.
warstorm
Rated PG

PostPosted: Thu, 31 Mar 2005 14:48:48    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

will try those thanx
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bigbruin.com Forum Index -> Overclocking, Cooling, and Modding All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: