Bigbruin.com
Home :: Reviews & Articles ::
Forum :: Info :: :: Facebook :: Youtube :: RSS Feed
Search  :: Register :: Log in
Windows 8 New Start Menu
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hellfire
Rated XXX

PostPosted: Mon, 29 Oct 2012 10:26:39    Post Subject: Windows 8 New Start Menu Reply with quote View Single Post

I don't care for the new WIndows 8 start menu on my desktop anymore than the rest of us. The lack of the classic start menu is a big issue with me for Windows 8.

Check out this little app that returns the start menu, boot directly to desktop, remove the side "charms" menus, and other features...

http://www.stardock.com/products/start8/

Installed it last night and looks to be a nice app for $4.99.
Little Bruin
Boo Boo

knight0334
Rated XXX

PostPosted: Tue, 19 Feb 2013 14:14:27    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

Just this past week one of the boy's friends brought over his new Win8 laptop, so I had to get it on the network(I use MAC Address filtering).

That had to been the worst 30 minutes of my life trying to even find a means to bring up the info on his computer. Windows 8 is by far the worst operating system ever, and that includes comparing it against Mac OS's - which I dearly hate.

I absolutely hate Mac's, but I will use one or do without a computer before ever using Windows 8.
Doctor Feelgood
Arrrrghh!

PostPosted: Tue, 19 Feb 2013 15:28:36    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

I have two licenses for Win8, but I have no time or patience to get involved with the juvenile interface and to find out things like you mention knight... One day I need to try it to say I did - I guess. Too bad it's not practical to build up a PC on a plane, because that is about the only time I have hours to do nothing else. lol
Hellfire
Rated XXX

PostPosted: Tue, 19 Feb 2013 16:51:01    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

What'd you have problems with Knight? It's probably because of the new changes, but everything is exactly as it is in Win7 if you know the commands. At the "Metro" interface, type in what you want, ie "control panel" by time you type "con" it'll bring up the control panel icon. It is definetly a learning curve, but better get used to it...the next version of Windows is based on 8 with a few new tweaks, at least according to my MS rep LOL

Jason, I build a PC no matter where I'm at. I have a USB flash drive that has my installers for XP, Win 7 and Win 8 (plus every version of them). It is a pain for drivers, but those I know ahead of time and have a bunch loaded on the flash drive. It can be done pretty easily Grin Just glad I have time at work to find these nifty tricks out lol
knight0334
Rated XXX

PostPosted: Tue, 19 Feb 2013 19:40:07    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

It took almost 30 minutes to find out how to get a to a place to RUN > IPCONFIG /ALL. I wont have to do it again because I added the MAC Address to the router.

I have Win7 setup themeless, looking like WinXP. I don't need the themes or other crap. ...I just want fast access to my programs, files, and setting without memory and CPU cycle leaching interfaces.

This is how an OS desktop is supposed to look like:
Hellfire
Rated XXX

PostPosted: Tue, 19 Feb 2013 22:52:55    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

At the "Metro" screen type: cmd and the command prompt window opens up Grin Easy to get to. The "metro" interface should be considered the old Start menu, it's all there just in a slightly different spot. At the bottom right corner, it opens a "charm" window with "All Apps".

I don't care for the "metro" interface much either, except on my new XPS 12 and Helix, feels right on a touch screen. I have to use it as it is for work, so I've been learning all the tricks/shortcuts.
Modulok
Rated XXX

PostPosted: Wed, 20 Feb 2013 09:33:29    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

Windows key + r will bring up the run command. There are a ton of useful Windows key shortcuts, it will really be a disaster when they change those to something else.

They really need to make 2 versions of Windows GUI. One for morons (Metro) and one for people who know what they hell they are doing on a PC.
Little Bruin
Boo Boo

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bigbruin.com Forum Index -> Software All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: