Bigbruin.com
Home :: Reviews & Articles ::
Forum :: Info :: :: Facebook :: Youtube :: RSS Feed
Search  :: Register :: Log in
Down Sizing my computer --- maybe even going to an htpc
View previous topic :: View next topic  
acruxksa
Doh!

PostPosted: Mon, 12 Sep 2005 23:59:16    Post Subject: Down Sizing my computer --- maybe even going to an htpc Reply with quote View Single Post

Just ordered a Soltek Mania EQ3901, AMD Athlon64 3500+ (venice core) and a Maxtor DiamondMax 200Mb SATA HDD. Already have an extra 1Gb of Corsair memory and will move my R9800Pro over until I can get something with video in/out. My current monster box just seems too large and I've got an overwhelming urge to build an HTPC (or at least one that can play the part in a pinch).

Any recommendations on HDTV capable video cards? (don't really know much about them). Also I have a spare PCI slot, so should I leave the R9800Pro and just get an extra PCI card for video in?

Boo Boo

dadx2mj
Happy Camper

PostPosted: Tue, 13 Sep 2005 00:36:53    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

You are downsizing to a A64 3500+ Confused Damn my XP2400+ is really starting to show it's age but anyway what the hell are you down sizing from?
acruxksa
Doh!

PostPosted: Tue, 13 Sep 2005 00:44:30    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

Grin

I should say down sizing cases. My current comp is an A64 3000+ winchester, but the case is a monster and about 3 1/2 yrs. old so I think it's time for a change.

It's been a great case, I can't even count how many upgrades it's seen, but the time has come for something new. I actually entertained the idea of buying a Mac Mini, but decided to go with the A64 3500+ instead.

Rated XXX

PostPosted: Tue, 13 Sep 2005 08:43:20    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

sheesh guys!! even my Celeron 466 with an old 16mb Rage 128 All-in-Wonder card is capable of handling 99% of my HTPC duties. ...only thing it stumbles on is MPEG4 stuff and an occasional MPEG2.

What are you guys doing to need so much power in a video player?
LaTech
Ruthless TechTator

PostPosted: Tue, 13 Sep 2005 09:10:46    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

Pron?
acruxksa
Doh!

PostPosted: Tue, 13 Sep 2005 10:12:37    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

HDTV - Divx/MPEG4 encoding/decoding - MP3 Encoding - Solitaire Smile
I might even get lucky, because my cable box (Motorola DCT 6208) has a firewire out port, so I may be able to just use that for video in. I've done it before, but it was only a temporary solution on my laptop. It is kind of a round about way to get things working, but I might be able to implement it a little bettter with a dedicated PC.

Ultimately I'm still going to be looking for an HDTV card if anyone has any suggestions.

I know I could get away with a less powerful machine, but the problem is, once you find a SFF case and Mobo (or in this case SFF barebones solution) and go looking for a cpu in the A64 line, the 3500 seemed to be the best bang for the buck. I actually entertained the idea of getting the 3800 X2 Smile, but will save that for a later day.

*hick*

PostPosted: Sat, 17 Sep 2005 13:04:23    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

I've heard good things on the ATi HDTV Wonder.
Little Bruin
Boo Boo

Doctor Feelgood
Arrrrghh!

PostPosted: Sat, 17 Sep 2005 23:25:23    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

I have one... Nice!

Drivers were intially a PITA, but it works well. Captures standard cable/broadcast TV, as well as HD signals.

What I want, and what is no available elsewhere, is a card that will capture HD cable signals... The HD on the ATI card can only be over the air!
acruxksa
Doh!

PostPosted: Tue, 04 Oct 2005 03:09:31    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

Looks like an ATI HDTV Wonder is going to be the way to go. Smile Might wait a while longer though, until we have more than one OTA HD channel. (others should be up in a couple months)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bigbruin.com Forum Index -> Hardware All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: