Bigbruin.com
Home :: Reviews & Articles ::
Forum :: Info :: :: Facebook :: Youtube :: RSS Feed
Search  :: Register :: Log in
Downloading with Bittorent
View previous topic :: View next topic  
timberwolfblues
Rated R

PostPosted: Fri, 03 Jun 2005 12:03:57    Post Subject: Downloading with Bittorent Reply with quote View Single Post

Hey there all. I had a question as I am fairly new to this piece of software. I have Bittorent and I am downloading a newer version of Knoppix then what I currently have. It's downloading at 1K/B per second at this moment. Is there a setting I should know about? I am running XP Pro with SP 2 and was wondering what was up. Thanks in advance for any suggestions and/or solutions.

I'm a newbie here and I hope to have some good disscussions here. Thanks all!
Little Bruin
Boo Boo

Doctor Feelgood
Arrrrghh!

PostPosted: Fri, 03 Jun 2005 12:25:00    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

Hi timberwolfblues, welcome!

I have never personally used a Torrent, but I know they work by having the file shared from users that have downloaded, or at least started to download the file. Once the original file is listed, it gets downloaded by others, and then new requests download it from the various seeded locations to split up the bandwidth and perhaps improve download times.

Perhaps you are downloading from a busy source or from a seeded location with a slow connection.

What kind of connection to the internet do you have?
timberwolfblues
Rated R

PostPosted: Fri, 03 Jun 2005 12:54:35    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

I have a T1 line here at work
Doctor Feelgood
Arrrrghh!

PostPosted: Fri, 03 Jun 2005 12:57:15    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

OK, so the bottleneck isn't on your end... Grin

Hopefully someone with more input will follow up soon, but my guess would be the peer on the other end may be slow...
timberwolfblues
Rated R

PostPosted: Fri, 03 Jun 2005 13:06:26    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

yeah that's what I was thinking too. I also adjusted the slider bar for upload speed and made it jump way up. The slider bar says it's for upload speed so why would that make my download speeds faster? Are they tied in somehow? Thanks for all your help by the way Big Bruin.
Shadowsilence
I <3 Chevrolet

PostPosted: Fri, 03 Jun 2005 13:10:43    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

With Bit Torrent it all depends on how many seeds and other peers there are. Seeds are just there to give you their upload, while peers are downloading while at the same time uploading. Depending on how many peers/seeds are available and how available thier bandwidth depends on what you can or can't do. The torrent you're trying to connect to is either using all it's bandwidth or there just arn't enough people to connect to for you to get a high sustained download.

Also with some clients, your download is slow until you start uploading. Since the idea is to at least share as much as you've downloaded. Some clients make it so you can only downloading a few kb, more than your upload. I don't know which client you're using, but I've found Bit Comet pretty nice.

T-shirt
Rated XXX

PostPosted: Fri, 03 Jun 2005 14:28:47    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

If you have a T1, why not just download it directly and avoid the whole torrent thing
http://www.knoppix.net/get.php
Little Bruin
Boo Boo

timberwolfblues
Rated R

PostPosted: Fri, 03 Jun 2005 16:14:20    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

You know I was asking myself the same question but I wanted to know what Bittorent was, and what I could do with it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bigbruin.com Forum Index -> Software All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: