Bigbruin.com
Home :: Reviews & Articles ::
Forum :: Info :: :: Facebook :: Youtube :: RSS Feed
Search  :: Register :: Log in
Wireless Networking: Setup and Security
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Doctor Feelgood
Arrrrghh!

PostPosted: Mon, 28 Mar 2005 22:47:02    Post Subject: Wireless Networking: Setup and Security Reply with quote View Single Post

Although this Tech Tip is by no means an exhaustive resource on configuring a wireless network, it will provide information and pointers that can be applied to most typical installations. Many of these tips are general enough that they may provide some good advice for those utilizing wired networks as well. - The Article

Last edited by Doctor Feelgood on Fri, 28 Apr 2006 13:59:53; edited 1 time in total
Little Bruin
Boo Boo

Kilamon
Rated XXX

PostPosted: Tue, 29 Mar 2005 11:51:33    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

Great article. I just finished setting up my own wireless networking at home and your article definitely covers the basics. One thing that wasn't discussed was authentication by MAC address. If you set your router or access point to only allow those devices with a mac address that you specify (usually they're listed so you can just check off the ones you want). This method allows you to be a little lazier than normal since, even if you leave the broadcast on, a hacker won't be able to obtain an IP or any other information. The mac addresses are lower on the OSI model than the IP address so it's almost akin to cutting the wires. The only caveat would be that your PCs may be broadcasting and a hacker could, conceivably, spoof the mac address that way.
BeerCheeze
*hick*

PostPosted: Tue, 29 Mar 2005 12:34:22    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

Kilamon wrote:
The only caveat would be that your PCs may be broadcasting and a hacker could, conceivably, spoof the mac address that way.

Not conceivably.... it's very easy to do. HOWEVER I still recommend doing the MAC filtering, along with not broadcast the SSID, and enabling WPA (or WEP if you can't do WAP).

Wireless is actually not very difficult to get into, even with all that set up (Yes WPA is breakable too). But, considering your home is a small time target, and there are plenty of un-protected WAP's out there... general rule for home use... make it hard enough that the script kiddies can't get in, and that the pro's won't waste their time.
Kilamon
Rated XXX

PostPosted: Tue, 29 Mar 2005 13:52:17    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

oh nos, hackers are out to get my 32gigs of mp3s!!

hehe

In my neighborhood, I'm more worried about the people with guns than the people with laptops but EC is right. If you spoof the MAC and have a more powerful signal, you could overpower the machine and gain entry. If you set up a wireless home network with WEP/WPA, MAC filtering, SSID Broadcasts off (and turn off the PC broadcasts), change the SSID and change the router/AP login credentials then I'd say your home network would be about as ironclad as your house. It'll stop the script kiddies and the losers with a playstation, but anyone who is dedicated to breaking in will do so.

One article I read a while back had a guy who only used WEP and changed his SSID to his email address. Anyone who emailed him from his suburb and requested access, he'd meet with and allow. This gave him the opportunity to do MAC filtering so he could turn off access if someone used too much bandwidth, but he could also do multiplayer gaming and even charge access to his neighbors for Internet access. It's not a bad idea, and if you had a firewall attached, you could monitor their traffic and even supply kid friendly access (if you live in Utah or some place that values that crap).
SAMSAMHA
Rated NC-17

PostPosted: Wed, 30 Mar 2005 01:53:09    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

very nice read. Gives pretty good overview on the whole wireless networking. i have been thinking of setting one, but never got the chance to do so.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bigbruin.com Forum Index -> Articles All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: