Home :: Reviews & Articles ::
Forum :: Info :: :: Facebook :: Youtube :: RSS Feed
Search  :: Register :: Log in
Upgrade
Looking for advice
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dakota
Rated R

PostPosted: Fri, 10 Sep 2010 10:51:22    Post Subject: Upgrade Reply with quote View Single Post

I am looking to upgrade my present computer, I built this several years ago. Not looking to spend a lot of money but maybe up to $1000.00, but would like to be somewhat lower. Also maybe going to Intel this time. Does not have to be i7 maybe i3 2 core. Probably just need MB, Processor, memory 4 - 6 gig and video card. It is:

1. ABIT NForce2 Chipset Motherboard For AMD Socket A CPU, Mdl. #“NF7-S”

2. AMD Mobile Athlon XP 2600+, 266 MHz FSB, 512K L2 Cache Processor

3. Kingston HyperX (2X1) gig 184pin DDR SDRAM 400 (PC3200)

4. ATI/Sapphire Radeon 9600 128MB DDR AGP8X w/CRT, TVO, & DVI

5. Maxtor 80GB 7200RPM IDE Hard Drive, ATA 133 Mdl. #6Y080P0

6. Antec PlusView1000AMG SOHO File Server Case w/430 Watt PS.

7. Samsung 3.5 floppy

8. LITE-ON CD Burner IDE Mdl: SOHR-5238S

9. NEC DVD BURNER IDE Mdl: ND-3520A

10. WD 200GB HDD
Little Bruin
Boo Boo

JMBB
Rated R

PostPosted: Fri, 10 Sep 2010 11:05:43    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

What's the primary purpose of the machine?

Do you need a new monitor, new OS, new drives?

There are some good guides on sites like TechSpot, TechReport, TomsHardware that have PC builds in different price ranges. That's a good place to start.
Doctor Feelgood
Arrrrghh!

PostPosted: Fri, 10 Sep 2010 11:11:20    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

If that 200GB drive is as old a the rest of the stuff - I'd say he'd want a new drive!

Like JMBB asked - what for? Gaming? Serious gaming? Web? Design?

I'd probably start around an Intel i5 CPU - but I guess we should know if you have a CPU preference? AMD or Intel?

$1000 could do quite a bit...
(TSC)Bender
Rated NC-17

PostPosted: Fri, 10 Sep 2010 13:01:31    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

I actually upgraded from a very similar system last year (same mobo and processor). Upgraded to a AMD Phenom X4 955, Asus M4A79XTD Evo mobo, and 6GB RAM. Cost me $400 then, but you can probably get the same setup for $350 or less. Intel mobos are generally more expensive, so you'll be paying more for the performance premium.

Depending on the video card and anything else thats being upgraded, you may want to upgrade the power supply also.
Dakota
Rated R

PostPosted: Fri, 10 Sep 2010 21:42:36    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

Don't need new monitor, or power supply or drive, have new of all of these. I am not a gamer but do want some speed as I am going to work with some graphics. I usually like a amd but worry about the heat factor, as they do run hotter. I am now running a cpu fan that kicks our 5000 rpm and is quite noisy. Want new OS also, I think. running XPhome.
JMBB
Rated R

PostPosted: Sat, 11 Sep 2010 08:35:42    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

I would suggest reading the articles below as a starting point. If you don't need it for gaming the video card can be down-graded in some of the builds that are gaming focused.

http://techreport.com/articles.x/19560
http://www.techspot.com/guides/buying/
http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/buyers-guide/2010/09/07/pc-hardware-buyer-s-guide-september-2010/1
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gaming-pc-build-a-pc-overclock,2739.html

If your power supply can handle the modern hardware then there's no reason to upgrade but I would at least consider it. You can get a new, good quality PSU for around $70. If you're not planning on overclocking the CPU, the stock heatsinks can be pretty quiet but if you want real quiet get a quality aftermarket model that's focused on being quiet.
BeerCheeze
*hick*

PostPosted: Sat, 11 Sep 2010 19:58:50    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

Dakota wrote:
Don't need new monitor, or power supply or drive, have new of all of these. I am not a gamer but do want some speed as I am going to work with some graphics. I usually like a amd but worry about the heat factor, as they do run hotter. I am now running a cpu fan that kicks our 5000 rpm and is quite noisy. Want new OS also, I think. running XPhome.

Don't underestimate the need for a GOOD SOLID PSU. That is one of the biggest mistakes I have seen home builders make when they build their PC's. Specially if the one you have is a few years old, it's likely not putting out the same power it did when brand new.
Little Bruin
Boo Boo

Doctor Feelgood
Arrrrghh!

PostPosted: Sat, 11 Sep 2010 20:09:50    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

What are the specs on that 200GB drive? If it is old like the rest - I might retire it... Or at least make it a back up drive. Is it SATA 3Gbps? Is it SATA?

Agree on the PSU issue, too... Forget performance (if you must) - there is always efficiency. Looking into 80-PLUS certified units would be a very good idea, and may pay off in a year plus if you have a low efficiency unit now.

JMBB seems to really want this guy to leave...
JMBB
Rated R

PostPosted: Sat, 11 Sep 2010 23:17:14    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

Jason wrote:
JMBB seems to really want this guy to leave...

Not at all, I find those guides are really helpful when people are unsure of the current hardware offerings at different price points.
mynameisthis
Rated PG

PostPosted: Fri, 18 Feb 2011 20:41:51    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

If you aren't gaming much, you will probably get the most benefit from upgrading your ram and hard drive. That can run you up to $150. A new processer is also recommended. AMD is better for anything below the price point of an i5. You don't need the six core.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bigbruin.com Forum Index -> Hardware All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: