Bigbruin.com
Home :: Reviews & Articles ::
Forum :: Info :: :: Facebook :: Youtube :: RSS Feed
Search  :: Register :: Log in
FSB533 doesn't workd with DDR400 !!!???
View previous topic :: View next topic  
hhhy2k
Rated PG

PostPosted: Fri, 13 Aug 2004 02:21:54    Post Subject: FSB533 doesn't workd with DDR400 !!!??? Reply with quote View Single Post

I have a huge problem. I bought one of the FOXCONN boards

865M01-G-6LS

and tried to set up with two components which I guess are incompatible (not with the board but with eachother)

2.53 GHz Celeron D 533FSB

DDR400 (PC3200) Crosair Ram (512MB, one module in DIMM1 or 2)

The system doesn't turn on any monitor however it turns the attached HDD (SATA WDRaptor 74GB 10 000rpm)

In the manual I have read that FSB533 is not suppored with DDR400.

My question is >>> Is this the reason why the monitor stays blank and the system doesn't boot, or this should be not the reason and I have a bad board, CPU or RAM. Shouldn't I get an on screen error message with FSB5300/DDR400 even if it is not supported?. Why the DDR400 ram runs slower then?

Once again, there is nothing on the monitor screen, and yes, the monitor works with my laptop.

All the components are brand new, I have no other system to test.

Thank you.

I am happy to go out and buy a DDR333 module if it goes to the boot with that.

Any suggestions? Similar experience? Anyone? Geeks? Smile))

The board itself supports ddr400 w FSB800... isn't ddr 400 just a faster module than ddr333 but exactly the same architecture? isn't this like a 2.53 or a 2.66 processor, being from the same lot just marked different?

HEEEEELP !!!!
Little Bruin
Boo Boo

Doctor Feelgood
Arrrrghh!

PostPosted: Fri, 13 Aug 2004 07:08:23    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

Hi, and welcome! That doesn't sound right to me... DDR is backwards compatible to lower speeds, so that shouldn't be your problem.

And more specifically... I am using that same Foxconn board right now with a 2.66GHz (533MHz fsb) Celeron D processor and two sticks of DDR400 memory. No problems at all!! Booted up fine on the first try.
Enforcer
Rated NC-17

PostPosted: Fri, 13 Aug 2004 11:16:52    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

correct me if i'm wrong, but isn't it possible to boot a system to POST without RAM in it? It would seem to me this would be a good testing point.
BeerCheeze
*hick*

PostPosted: Fri, 13 Aug 2004 12:12:47    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

No, I belive it has to have some RAM in it too post.
hhhy2k
Rated PG

PostPosted: Sat, 14 Aug 2004 16:21:38    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

Hi, I'm back

Well, talking to FOXCONN and others, trying a DDR333 module and having no beeps of any kind from the motherboard I think something is wrong Smile

it is either the CPU (it doesn't get hot at all, not even warm) or the mobo. no beeps and video is very suspicious. On the other hand the mobo makes the cpu fan to turn, but if it is all what it does, that not really much.

I ordered a new CPU and a board to be sure.

Thanks for all the replies and I keep you posted

Erik

ps: and yes, most system should post without ram as far as i know
BeerCheeze
*hick*

PostPosted: Sat, 14 Aug 2004 17:31:02    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

If the Board and CPU are ok, you should get beeps. So it has to be either the board or the CPU.... and I think you got that covered Wink
Doctor Feelgood
Arrrrghh!

PostPosted: Sat, 14 Aug 2004 17:38:44    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

I just tried booting that board with no ddr... it beeped and didn't post.
Little Bruin
Boo Boo

hhhy2k
Rated PG

PostPosted: Sat, 14 Aug 2004 19:07:41    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

How about if it is the PSU's 4 pin? Just a crazy idea. Trying with a brand new ANTEC ARIA. I know it is a crazy idea, but I'll go nuts if that's the case! Shouldn't a board beep witout a CPU? because if it should then it is the board and was obvious before.

I hope it is not the PSU.

(Removing the 4 pin the fan still got moving and all the other connector works fine)

Thank you guys
Doctor Feelgood
Arrrrghh!

PostPosted: Sat, 14 Aug 2004 19:09:33    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

different system, but I had an issue with a cpu the other day... would not boot and just gave the cpu beep... I removed the cpu from the socket and tried to boot and got the same cpu error beep. So, yes, it should beep without a cpu present.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bigbruin.com Forum Index -> Hardware All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: