Bigbruin.com
Home :: Reviews & Articles ::
Forum :: Info :: :: Facebook :: Youtube :: RSS Feed
Search  :: Register :: Log in
Vista is killing my flashdrives for xp!!!
Go To Page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
FOX
I <3 Quail

PostPosted: Fri, 18 Jul 2008 00:13:59    Post Subject: Vista is killing my flashdrives for xp!!! Reply with quote View Single Post

sooooooooooo for a long time now ive been transfering files from my xp to my vista system i use for djing. There havent been any issues on this system till i put the drive in my buddies vista system now the flash drive wont work on my xp system anymore but it works fine on my vista system...

now that seems odd but at work the same thing is happening. I have killed 6 2gig drives. It sounds so stupid but i put something on it from an xp system went to my vista system got the file off and deleted it from the flash drive. Went back to the xp system i just used the drive it and it doesnt work anymore!!

wtf ...i looked online but i only found a couple others it seems to be happening to. Its so annoying now i have to burn cds to get my music on my vista system.

If anyone can help at all that would be great. I formatted all of them and they all boot on my vista system but not on any xp system in the house and we have four of those i tried them on... its incredibly weird!!

http://www.facebook.com/DjFOXDnB
My site where I have my latest mixes! www.DjSourceInfo.com
Little Bruin
Boo Boo

SpeedZone
Rated NC-17

PostPosted: Fri, 18 Jul 2008 11:40:23    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

Hi!

Here is the link to some possible solutions when usb drive doesnt show up in xp anymore. Give them a try and let us know whether you managed to "fix" the drive (or fix XP's problems with usb drives - which i believe are causing all this). Good luck. Grin Wink

http://www.mattcutts.com/blog/fix-usb-drive-in-xp/

FOX
I <3 Quail

PostPosted: Sat, 19 Jul 2008 00:51:10    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

yea i saw that but the drive doesnt even show up at all... the lights flash initially for about a second then..............nothing lol... the flash drive works for some reason now but none of the other memory cards i have seem to function yet... i can deal with that at least for now i just needed my flash drive for transferring my files everyday

mrweasel
I can haz cheezbrgr?

PostPosted: Mon, 21 Jul 2008 10:43:13    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

does it show up in Disk Manager? It may be a GPT/MBR issue
I <3 Quail

PostPosted: Thu, 24 Jul 2008 18:34:59    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

doesnt show up in disk manager in xp at all... its just really weird bc they all work in vista but no xp system even if i format them

mrweasel
I can haz cheezbrgr?

PostPosted: Thu, 24 Jul 2008 18:36:51    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

go into DM on the Vista box and check to see if it's in GPT mode and not MBR mode....had a drive do that before
I <3 Quail

PostPosted: Sat, 26 Jul 2008 15:48:00    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

i will check that thank you... w/o googling that whats the difference mean?

Little Bruin
Boo Boo

MadHacker
Rated PG-13

PostPosted: Wed, 01 Apr 2009 02:05:23    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

MBR mode is (Master Boot Record) support 4 partions and limits partitions created to max of 2 GB each.

GPT is (GUID Partion Table) supports a lot more partitons 256 or more... not sure. and will support drive partions larger then 2TB, I have 1 that is 5TB and needed to do that.

is it posible to boot into dos and try fdisk to whipe the USB stick to get it to work?
Hellfire
Rated XXX

PostPosted: Wed, 01 Apr 2009 08:16:21    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

That's another issue I've never run into. I am always giving my flash drives to people on both XP and Vista.

If you find a solution, please let us know. Save others time if they run into it Smile
sbrehm72255
Rated XXX

PostPosted: Wed, 01 Apr 2009 10:25:53    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

I've never run into the problem either and I swap files between Vista and XP all the time with USB flash drives.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bigbruin.com Forum Index -> Hardware All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Go To Page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: