Home :: Reviews & Articles ::
Forum :: Info :: :: Facebook :: Youtube :: RSS Feed
Search  :: Register :: Log in
Advise needed about purchasing in sunny florida
Go To Page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
K2ray
Rated PG

PostPosted: Wed, 30 Apr 2008 12:48:14    Post Subject: Advise needed about purchasing in sunny florida Reply with quote View Single Post

Seeing as the dollar is so weak, I'm thinking of heading across the pond (Miami to be exact) in a couple of months. The advise I need is in regards to wanting a Graphic Design orientated laptop. As of now, I'm thinking of a 17" HP Compaq 8710w. I'm wanting to splash just under 2g.

Can I purchase one of these at say the Tiger Direct outlet down there or is this model so not mainstream to be found there? Any other tips (i.e bargaining approach)

I need plenty of advise folks so don't hesitate to comment. Thanks in advance

K2ray
Little Bruin
Boo Boo

knight0334
Rated XXX

PostPosted: Wed, 30 Apr 2008 12:56:32    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

No sure about Tiger's outlet store.. ...but you may end up paying duties on declared items if you are from abroad.
tomato
Rated NC-17

PostPosted: Wed, 30 Apr 2008 16:34:23    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

As well as potential duty fees, items purchased from the Tiger Direct outlet store might not carry a full warranty... especially if you are not located in the US... IE: warranty valid only in the US...
K2ray
Rated PG

PostPosted: Wed, 30 Apr 2008 18:08:10    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

knight0334 wrote:
No sure about Tiger's outlet store.. ...but you may end up paying duties on declared items if you are from abroad.

Declared is the keyword Grin ..but folks from Europe are still heading over to buy their electronics and clothes stateside...customs can't stop everyone. But I hear you.
K2ray
Rated PG

PostPosted: Wed, 30 Apr 2008 18:13:30    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

tomato wrote:
As well as potential duty fees, items purchased from the Tiger Direct outlet store might not carry a full warranty... especially if you are not located in the US... IE: warranty valid only in the US...

Yeah, the warranty issue has got me thinking I'm on to a bad thing, however some brands instantly have International Warranty such as Toshiba (possibly Lenova as well). Is it really the case that with HP in the US is solely a US warranty restriction? Thanks
acruxksa
Doh!

PostPosted: Wed, 30 Apr 2008 19:26:14    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

Although it pains me to say this, the words "graphic design oriented laptop" kind of scream apple to me. I'm not sure on warranty issues.

I've been hearing about more and more people visiting the US because of the weak dollar. Our trade deficit could use all the help it can get. It also helps our heavy manufacturing industries compete on the global market, so it's not all bad.

Arrrrghh!

PostPosted: Wed, 30 Apr 2008 19:36:34    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

How about an ASUS? I love mine. Worldwide 2-year warranty, too.

Finding one retail may be the hard part. Tiger Direct / CompUSA have them online, but who knows what the stores look like. None around me any more, but Florida has a few.
Little Bruin
Boo Boo

BeerCheeze
*hick*

PostPosted: Wed, 30 Apr 2008 20:21:00    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

Here's how to beat customs

1) Bring a old POS Laptop (that works) with you.
2) Buy a new laptop
3) Throw old laptop in trash
4) Bring new laptop back, saying it's the one you brought with you.

Grin
acruxksa
Doh!

PostPosted: Wed, 30 Apr 2008 20:46:14    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

Dr. EvilCheeze wrote:
Here's how to beat customs

1) Bring a old POS Laptop (that works) with you.
2) Buy a new laptop
3) Throw old laptop in trash
4) Bring new laptop back, saying it's the one you brought with you.

Grin

Or better yet, donate old POS to some charity, get a receipt (showing some ridiculously high value) for the donation and send it to someone so they can use it as a tax deduction. Grin

Didn't know Asus had a world wide warranty. They've got some very usable laptops if you can find one. Most I've seen were mail order, but someone must sell them in an actual store.

Arrrrghh!

PostPosted: Wed, 30 Apr 2008 21:06:02    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

Oh yeahs...

http://www.asus.com/products.aspx?l1=5&share=icon/carefree

(some restrictions do apply - Laughing )
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bigbruin.com Forum Index -> Hardware All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Go To Page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: