Bigbruin.com
Home :: Reviews & Articles ::
Forum :: Info :: :: Facebook :: Youtube :: RSS Feed
Search  :: Register :: Log in
PCIE 2 or not????
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Fakum
Rated PG

PostPosted: Fri, 14 Dec 2007 18:10:17    Post Subject: PCIE 2 or not???? Reply with quote View Single Post

What to do? I am purchasing parts for a new build. Below is the current list that I am looking for deals on (memory already purchased) but I now have one concern. I will be purchasing a Gateway XHD3000 Monitor (I primarily want to do gaming on this rig) I know the native resolution on the monitor and the max resolution on the 8800 GT are the same at 2560 x 1600. Heres my dilemma. The Mobo I have selected does not support PCIE 2.0, I would have to purchase an X38 Mobo to support PCIE 2.0. Only problem is that a good one will probably cost me $100 more than the Mobo I have listed. My question is this, how and would the fact that I would NOT be using the 8800 GT at its full potential impact my gaming experience with that monitor? Im not saying I wont stretch the budget to get a GOOD X38 Mobo, but Im currently about $200 over budget, that’s why Im waiting for some good sales over the next few weeks. Keep in mind I have decided to stay with an Intel Mobo and a NON Sli Configuration. Thanks all,

EVGA GeForce 8800 GT

Intel Core 2 Q6600 GO Stepping

GIGABYTE GA-P35-DS4 Rev. 2.0 LGA 775 Intel P35 ATX Intel Motherboard

Crucial Ballistix 4 GB (4 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory (I already own)
Little Bruin
Boo Boo

Blue|Fusion
Rated XXX

PostPosted: Sat, 15 Dec 2007 19:24:05    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

The PCI-E 2.0 is electrically and physically the same as PCI-E 1.0. The only difference is that the speeds are doubled. PCI-E devices are backwards and forward compatible. None of the nVidia 8000 series video cards are even able to max out the PCI-E 16x available bandwidth so you should be good to go.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bigbruin.com Forum Index -> Hardware All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: