Bigbruin.com
Home :: Reviews & Articles ::
Forum :: Info :: :: Facebook :: Youtube :: RSS Feed
Search  :: Register :: Log in
System Beeps
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Blue|Fusion
Rated XXX

PostPosted: Fri, 02 Feb 2007 10:59:56    Post Subject: System Beeps Reply with quote View Single Post

It has been happening on my rig since I got it every so often. Sometimes, when I boot up Windows, a little after the Windows Login screen comes up, the system buzzer beeps once. Sometimes, in Linux or Windows, no applications could be running or be causing the beep yet the system beeps. It just happened to me twice in Linux for no reason. The temps are all good, no applications that would have caused it, and I know for a fact that it was not from an application as I disabled the PC speaker in my kernel.

It sounds like the POST beep, yet it shouldn't be POSTing while the OS is running....

Any ideas what I should look for to see why it's doing this? Could this be indicating a problem? Sometimes it goes months without doing it, but it just did it twice in the same amount of minutes, so I'm a bit lost...
Little Bruin
Boo Boo

edvallie
Put Beer Here

PostPosted: Fri, 02 Feb 2007 11:14:13    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

Did you check your SMART readings to see if either of your harddrives are trying to die on ya? I know speedfan can tell you the SMART value's and what the ideal value is.

I do agree its probably not a good sign, it sounds like something on your motherboard is failing on you. Are you sure its not a normal single beep that you get from a successful POST? Worst comes to worse and it gets pretty annoying, you could always just unplug the little guy Razz

Modulok
Rated XXX

PostPosted: Fri, 02 Feb 2007 11:16:52    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

anything in event log?
edvallie
Put Beer Here

PostPosted: Fri, 02 Feb 2007 12:04:37    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

Modulok wrote:
anything in event log?

or /var/log/boot?

Blue|Fusion
Rated XXX

PostPosted: Fri, 02 Feb 2007 13:11:09    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

It sounds like the normal POST beep, however it happens after the system has been online for some time. This morning when I posted about those two beeps out of nowhere, the system was already up for about 30 minutes in Linux.

But I am looking in /var/log/messages now and I think there may have been something that made it beep...

Code:
Feb  2 09:48:59 area51 wall[10189]: wall: user root broadcasted 1 lines (50 chars)
Feb  2 09:49:00 area51 (rich-9441): GConf server is not in use, shutting down.
Feb  2 09:49:00 area51 (rich-9441): Exiting
Feb  2 09:49:49 area51 wall[11095]: wall: user root broadcasted 1 lines (29 chars)

The two wall commands there would have beeped and are almost 1 minutes apart like I mentioned before. What caused it? I have no idea as only my normal apps were running with no errors or anything. I thought I disabled the pcspkr driver in the kernel, but maybe I set it in-kernel instead of module instead. Oh well... Atleast that explains that, BUT...I still have yet to figure out why it does the same thing in Windows on occasion. But I'll save that for another day.

And the drives' SMART is all clean. I run smartd to notify me of any problems plus I check manually every so often Smile.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bigbruin.com Forum Index -> Hardware All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: